Books to Read for Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

As an avid reader, I never need an excuse to devour a great book. African American History Month, or Black History Month, is February 1 through 29 this year. According to the official website for Black History Month, the goal is “a tribute to the generations of African Americans who struggled with adversity to achieve full citizenship in American society.” Here are five amazing reads to check out this month:

Designing Victory: A Memoir by Robert P. Madison (2019)Image from Amazon

This past summer I had the pleasure of meeting both Robert Madison and Senator Sherrod Brown during a haphazard encounter in Shaker Square’s Yours Truly Restuarant. Before the meeting, I had briefly heard of the incredible architect who helped create the Cleveland we know and love today. That being said, meeting him in person was truly incredible. Robert Madison retells his amazing life’s story in “Designing Victory.” Madison was born and raised in CLE as the grandchild of slaves who served our country during WWII and pursued a career in architecture. His accomplishments are a feat that anyone would envy (i.e. Howard University, Case Western, Fulbright Awardee, and more). If I had to choose one book for Clevelanders (and the rest of the world) to read during 2020, it would be this one. 

Becoming by Michelle Obama (2018) Image from Amazon

Former First Lady Michelle Obama is an icon for all American women. While being known for her role in the White House, Michelle has a vast array of accomplishments like graduating from Harvard Law and raising two daughters. Her autobiography, “Becoming” is a worthwhile read for any college student- regardless of political affiliation. Bonus points: she’s a style icon.

How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi (2019)

Kendi’s “How to Be an Antiracist” is a bestseller in the Human Rights genre and for good reason. As the title suggests, the book is an “energized” discussion about racism in America. It differs from most other HR genre books because of its layout. “How to Be an Antiracist” is an essential read to better understand the challenges facing African American communities today. 

March by John Lewis (2013)​Image from Amazon

The author of this comic book, John Lewis, is a Georgia Congressman (District 5) and Civil Rights Icon. Amazon’s blurb describes the series all too well: “a first-hand account of John Lewis’ lifelong struggle for civil and human rights, meditating in the modern age on the distance traveled since the days of Jim Crow and segregation. Rooted in Lewis’ personal story, it also reflects on the highs and lows of the broader civil rights movement.” I recommend this comic book for a night-in because of its length and readability. 

X: A Novel by Ilyasah Shabazz and Kekla Magoon (2016)

There are a few figures that always come to mind when discussing the Civil Rights Era: Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, and Malcolm X. As the title suggests, this novel surrounds the story of Malcolm X and is co-written by his daughter, Kelka Magoon. While I haven’t read “X” myself yet, it is certainly on my to-do list for February. According to the Amazon page, “X follows the boy who would become Malcolm X from his childhood to his imprisonment for theft at age twenty, when he found the faith that would lead him to forge a new path and command a voice that still resonates today.”