Books About: The Jazz Age

The 1920s are often depicted as one of the most glamorous periods of American history. The real story, of course, has a dark side amidst the glamour, but the Jazz Age is a popular setting for school dances, parties, and novels. Read on to find some books to satisfy your craving for the glitter and drama of the the 1920s in the world of fiction.

1. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald- This classic American piece of literature is often people’s favorite novel they had to read in high school. The enigmatic Jay Gatsby and the glitz and tragedy of his story have captivated readers for years. Personally, I think it’s a bit overrated, but definitely worth the read.Image result for the great gatsby                                                                                    Courtesy: Amazon

2. Bright Young Things trilogy by Anna Godberson- This YA trilogy is typical small-town-girl comes to big city and gets caught up in the glitz of the flapper lifestyle. From what I remember lots of drama with romance, gangsters, stardom, and intrigue. Not exactly a social commentary on the American Dream, but lots to keep you flipping the pages.Image result for bright young things anna godbersen                                                                          Courtesy: HarperCollins Publishers

3. Flappers trilogy by Jillian Larkin- Honestly, I don’t remember this one all the well but I think the vibe was pretty similar to Bright Young Things? If you like one, you’ll probably like the other, though I think I liked Bright Young Things more.Image result for vixen jillian larkin                                                                                            Courtesy: Amazon  

4. The Diviners series by Libba Bray- I love this series. Supernatural powers, super interesting and diverse cast, creepy serial killers and the occult. Funny, quip-filled writing but lots of drama and emotional material too. I’m desperately waiting for the last installment of the series to come out.Image result for the diviners                                                                                  Courtesy: Penguin Random House

5. The Girls at the Kingfisher Club by Genevieve Valentine- Another favorite of mine, this is a retelling of the twelve dancing princesses fairytale set in the Roaring Twenties. What’s not to like? Very unique, I’m a big fan.Image result for the girls at the kingfisher club                                                                                          Courtesy: Amazon

6. The Steep and Thorny Way by Cat Winters- If you’re looking for something a little different from the typical 20s fare, maybe you’re over the flappers and champagne and mobsters, this historical fiction takes place in a small town in 1923. A murder mystery with commentary on race, sexuality, and prejudice on a larger scale.

Image result for the steep and thorny way                                                                                         Courtesy: Goodreads

The Jazz Age has been a captivating era for period books, movies, and more. Next time you’re looking to recapture a little of that glamour for yourself, pull out one of these books and enjoy!