Book Review: The God of Small Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

4.5/5 stars

Premise- (3/5) The God of Small Things is a book I actually read for school. This semester I’m in an Indian Literature class, and The God of Small Things was the last book we read for the class. I wasn’t sure what to expect. The blurb on the back of the book doesn’t give much detail about the plot, just says that one Indian family will be dramatically changed after the events of just one fateful day. Set in India in 1969 and the years after, The God of Small Things examines the build-up, climax, and aftermath of a series of events that will have a heavy impact on twin siblings Estha and Rahel and their family.

Characters- (5/5) Roy’s characters were incredibly real, sometimes in a very painful way. They are people, good, bad, and complicated. Estha and Rahel, arguably the protagonists of the novel, have a fascinating dynamic both as children and when they grown up. I couldn’t help rooting for their mother, Ammu. In a difficult position because of an unconventional marriage and an even more unconventional divorce, in a society that frowns upon non-conventional women, Ammu stood apart and stood up for herself and her children. She was a mother, but she was more too. Her character was multi-faceted, and by the end of the novel I was deeply invested. The twins’ uncle, Chacko is complex, somebody whose actions and words I disliked, but understood. His relationship with his ex-wife and their daughter was an interesting contrast to Ammu’s relationship with her ex-husband and her children. And I absolutely fell in love with the character Velutha. An Untouchable in India’s caste system, Velutha has higher ambitions, and an anger that makes him very human. But Roy gives him a very gentle side as well, showing him playing with the children in a way that few adults can manage. Other characters like Baby Kochamma, Margaret, Sophie Mol, and Comrade Pillai were just as interesting, though we learned less about them. We knew enough to guess at their motives and reasoning behind their actions. Roy’s characters are one of the best parts of The God of Small Things. They are so, so human with messy relationships and complicated motives, hopes and prejudices and ambitions and fears. Each one was well written!

Plot- (4.5/5) You know those books and movies where you can see where the story is going, and you don’t like it, but you have to keep going because there’s no turning back? The God of Small Things is one of those. I won’t spoil anything here, but I will say the plot was heart-breakingly compelling. There’s a lot of chronological back and forth, which can make the plot a little confusing (see below for more details), but the story essentially covers one event, or perhaps more accurately a chain of events from when Estha and Rahel were little. The God of Small Things deals with some heavy subject matter, both when Estha and Rahel are young and when they’ve grown up. I can’t say The God of Small Things is action-packed or suspenseful exactly, but there’s something extremely compelling about the story. For the first time in forever, I didn’t want to stop at my assigned reading, I wanted to read ahead. In some ways the plot was predictable, but that didn’t detract from the story’s power.

World- (4/5) The God of Small Things takes place in the latter half of the 20th century in Kerala, India. Now, I’m pretty unfamiliar with the political and social climate of India at that time. Since this book was part of a class, we discussed the historical context a little, but I’m far from an expert. Roy didn’t focus too much on the outside world, but in several scenes, like when Estha and Rahel observe the Kathakali dancers, or the Communist march on the way to the airport, Roy provides a look at some of the political turmoil India was going through as well as the social background. I think I would’ve appreciated the world more if I knew more about Indian history and culture, but I still enjoyed it.

Writing- (4.5/5) I will admit, Roy’s writing can be a little hard to follow. In The God of Small Things, the chronology of the story skips back and forth from Estha and Rahel’s childhood to their adulthood frequently without warning. But Roy’s style is beautiful. Her language is vivid, realistic, and poignant. This is one of the most beautifully written books I’ve ever read. At the same time, parts of the book are really graphic. There’s some heavy, gruesome stuff in here. But that’s also part of life, and I think Roy does a great job of simultaneously capturing life as it is: beautiful, ugly, wondrous, and terrible.

Overall- (4.2/5) I was unexpectedly blown away by The God of Small Things. When I read books for school, it could easily go either way. I didn’t know what to expect from The God of Small Things, but I loved it! Roy’s characters are so real they’re ready to step off the page, and her writing style is unique, beautiful but gritty. Readers should be advised that The God of Small Things deals with some heavy content, deep issues, and can have graphic or brutal language sometimes. But it is also beautiful, and well worth the read. It will definitely make you think, and it left me heartbroken but hopeful!

Mallory Fitzpatrick is a senior at John Carroll University, who loves reading, writing, and travel.