The Best Lyrics From Ed Sheeran’s “Divide”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

After waiting for almost two years, we can finally say that Ed Sheeran has done it again. The two-time Grammy award winner finally left his year long hiatus in late 2016, teasing fans with snippets of songs off of ÷ (Divide), his third studio album. The built up anticipation surrounding the release of ÷ was well deserved because the album definitely did not disappoint.

Sheeran is known for his songs being filled with heartfelt emotions and brilliant lyrics. With a combination of old familiar sounds that can be heard in his album + (Plus) and new sounds that show the dynamic career of Sheeran, it’s easy to say that ÷ is the hottest album on the market right now, and is definitely going to make its mark on 2017. With all that said, here are my favorite lyrics from Sheeran’s new album, ÷.

1. “Eraser”

“So blame it on the pain that blessed me with the life/Friends and family filled with envy, when they should be filled with pride/And when the world’s against me, is when I really come alive/And every day that Satan tempts me, I try to take it in my stride.”

2. “Castle on the Hill”

“I found my heart and broke it here/Made friends and lost them through the years/And I’ve not seen the roaring fields in so long/I know I’ve grown/I can’t wait to go home.”

3. “Dive”

“I could fall or I could fly/Here in your aero plane/I could live, I could die/Hanging on the words you say.”

4. “Shape of You”

“Your love was handmade for somebody like me”

5. “Perfect”

“Now I know I have met an angel in person/And she looks perfect, I don’t deserve this/You look perfect tonight.”

6. “Galway Girl”

“Oh I could have that voice playing on repeat for a week/And in this packed out room, swear she was singing to me, you know.”

7. “Happier”

“I saw that both your smiles were twice as wide as ours/Yeah you look happier, you do.”

8. “New Man”

“I guess if you were Lois Lane, I wasn’t superman, just a young boy trying to be loved/So let me give it to you.”

9. “Hearts Don’t Break Around Here”

“Well I found love in the inside/The arms of a woman I know/She is the lighthouse in the night that will safely guide me home/And I’m not scared of passing over/Or the thought of growing old.”

10. “What Do I Know?”

“Love can change the world in a moment.”

11. “How Would You Feel (Paean)”

“In the summer, as the lilacs bloom/Love flows deeper than the river/Every moment that I spend with you.”

12. “Supermarket Flowers”

“I hope that I see the world as you did cause I know/A life with love is a life that’s been lived.”

13. “Barcelona”

“I fell in love with the sparkle in the moonlight/Reflected in your beautiful eyes, I guess that is destiny doing it right.”

14. “Bibia Be Ye Ye”

“And in the pocket of my jeans, are only coins and broken dreams.”

15. “Nancy Mulligan”

“She and I went on the run/Don’t care about religion/I’m gonna marry the woman I love.”

16. “Save Myself”

“And all the ones that love me, they just left me on the shelf, no farewell/So before I save someone else, I’ve got to save myself.”

Dog enthusiast and a big believer that you should "be the change that you wish to see in the world."