All About Junior Bio Major, Maggie Rybak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Name: Maggie Rybak

Year: 2018

Major: Cell and Molecular Biology

Hometown: Seven Hills, OH

1. What are you involved in at JCU?

I am involved involved in the health club, aws for paws, immersions, Carroll Ballers, and the recreation center. I work as a building supervisor and the Club Sports Supervisor at the rec center.

2. What is your favorite thing to do at JCU?

My favorite thing to do at John Carroll is to study on the Dolan Balcony, This might seem odd but the view and the breeze up there is perfect.

3. If you could add a class to the curriculum what would you add and why?

I think I would add a class of the difference between service and social justice. I know they have versions of this, but many of them are not mandatory or do not directly relate.

4. If you go to JCU what is one thing any student has to do?

Every student should participate in GUTS. Its a late night event at the Rec Center every fall. From the people that participate, it is said to be one of the most memorable experiences at JCU. Also, they should go to every concerts our Acapella (idk how to spell this??) groups have to offer because they are amazing.

5. If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

I would visit Greece. My mom’s side is 100% Greek and I think it would be cool to experience the culture.

6. If you could only take one item to an island to live with for 1 year, what would you take and why?

I think I would take a take a sheet. It can be used for different things like making a hammock, as clothing, or as a tent.

7.  If you could have any super power what would it be and why?

I would want the power to read minds. My biggest pet peeve is when people are not honest so reading minds would let me see their honesty.

8. If you could meet anyone in history, who would you meet? Passed away or Alive

I would want to meet Shawn Johnson. She was my childhood superhero because she was so awesome in the Olympics.

9. If you could give your freshman self advice, what would tell her?

I would tell her to be confident in everything she does. Maybe its not her best effort everyday, but she should always be proud of herself, whether that’s in school, work, service, or anything else. I think believing in yourself in the most important tool to success.

10. If you could give your future self advice, what would you tell her in 10 years?

I would tell myself to be genuine with every person I meet. I think honesty goes along way, and hopefully in the future I will not have lost sight of that. I would also tell myself to live in the moment and not get caught up with the little stresses of everyday life.

11. Why did you choose to go on an immersion and why did you choose to lead one?

I went on an immersion trip to New Orleans because I have always had a passion for service and for experiencing life on the margins. I have always had an interest in New Orleans because as a child I was fascinated by Hurricane Katrina. I decided to lead an immersion because of how loved my first immersion experience made me feel. It is a passion and a desire that I wish everyone could experience in their lives. If I could have a lifetime of immersion experiences I would.