This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

So you’re thinking about bringing home a new furry friend? While you may believe that the perfect place to find your perfect pup is at a pet store or through a local breeder, there are thousands of reasons as to why rescuing a dog is so much more beneficial and rewarding. Thanks to the amazing local shelters, my family has been able to bring many rescue dogs into our loving home. I can promise you that all rescue dogs are sweet and wonderful pets, and if you’re not convinced yet, take a look at the list below.

(Note: All of the images found in this article are pictures of adoptable dogs in the Cleveland area. Check out clevelandapl.org to find out more about them!)

1. You’ll Save A Life

According to The Humane Society of The United States, each year, 2.7 million pets are euthanized in the United States, simply because our shelters are overflowing. Too many animals are coming into our shelters, but there are not enough people willing to adopt a shelter dog. The number of animals euthanized every year could decrease dramatically if more people considered adopting animals, rather than buying them. When you adopt a rescue dog, not only are you saving their life, but you are also freeing up space in a shelter that can be used for another dog in desperate need.

1. You’ll Be Fighting Against Puppy Mills

If you buy a dog from a pet store or online it is almost guaranteed that you are getting a dog from a puppy mill. Puppy Mills, according to DoSomething.org, are commercial dog-breeding facilities that focus on increasing profit with little overhead cost. The health and welfare of the animals are not a priority. Animals are kept in shockingly unsanitary and tight quarters, which lead to disease and behavioral problems. The moms of the puppies are kept in cages for years to be continually breeding and then euthanized, abandoned, or sold in auctions when the puppy mills see no use for them anymore.  

1. You’ll See A Transformation

However there are some cases that you will find a perfectly healthy dog to adopt at a shelter, but many times that isn’t the case. A lot of dogs come into shelters and have been abused or mistreated. But in no time, you will be able to care for your dog and nurse him back to health. You will be amazed by the transformation that your furry friend went through.

1. It Will Save You Money

Although money should not be the deciding factor when adopting a dog, it is a plus that shelter dogs are cheaper than dogs from breeders. Breeders charge upwards of thousands of dollars for dogs, and you are in charge of getting them vaccinated or neutered/spayed. But when you adopt a dog from a shelter, the majority of the time they come already having their vaccinations and have been neutered/spayed, all for a price cheaper than a breeder’s.

1. They Will Teach You Unconditional Love

When you rescue a dog, they become forever grateful to you for helping them out. They will look up to you and respect you. You helped them, so now they believe it is their time to help you. You will always have a best friend in them. And in the case of my dog, you will always have a shadow. He follows us everywhere we go, making sure that we are okay and getting worried when we are gone for too long. We have taught each other many lessons, but the most important one is how to love someone unconditionally.

Dog enthusiast and a big believer that you should "be the change that you wish to see in the world."