6 Things to do in Cleveland when it’s above 6 degrees

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

At times like these, every native Clevelander can’t help but post something like, “Yay 40-degree weather! Where’s my swimsuit? Lol!” We love a good patch of muddy grass, slushy sidewalks, and constant snow melting off the trees to ruin our fresh spring hair. Do not fear, Cleveland, I assure you spring will get better. Here are several things to look forward to when we say goodbye to sub-zero temperatures.

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo

Everyone needs a zoo trip when the weather starts to warm up. The zoo is open every day from 10am-5pm, so you could spend your entire day there. Adorably located on Wildlife Way, The zoo is a short half hour drive from Carroll. The most recent attraction is the African Elephant Crossing, located just inside the main entrance. The coolest aspect of this exhibit is when the elephants cross through a gated walkway so people can see them move from one side to the next. Make sure to get an old-fashioned ICEE to cool you down from the warm weather.

Cleveland Indians

I miss baseball. By that I mean I miss going to Indians games and becoming part of the Cleveland fandom. Opening Day is April 10 against the Detroit Tigers, so get your tickets now before they completely sell out. Check the schedule for Student I.D. nights and get a discounted ticket to help your college wallet. Indians games are full of fun, good food, and the Cleveland family. There’s nothing like trying to get on the big screen while singing and motioning “O-H-I-O!” with a group of friends. Don’t forget your trusty Indians baseball hat to shield yourself from that unfamiliar spring sun.  

Cedar Point

I’ll admit that I’ve never actually been to Cedar Point before, but it’s a Cleveland staple. A quick visit to the website said it’s “The Roller Coaster Capital of the World!” so it must be good. So obviously there are roller coasters and such, but what else is there to do? Um, more like what else isn’t there to do? There are numerous places to eat, a waterpark, live entertainment and shows, and a beach by the Lake Erie waters. I mean, people spend a whole weekend here for family getaways there’s so much to do. Dig out your shorts and tank tops because amusement park season is right around the corner.   

Tony Award-Winning Kinky Boots at Playhouse Square

Playhouse is hands down my favorite Cleveland attraction. Every year, Playhouse brings in some of the best shows around in their KeyBank Broadway Series. Kinky Boots won six Tony Awards, including Best Musical. Kinky Boots struts its way into Cleveland on April 7, 2014. Sometimes you can get student tickets for just $10. As a lover of all things Broadway, I would definitely recommend seeing this show, and also all shows. This would be a good excuse to go shopping for a new spring dress so you can get all dolled up and enjoy a night at the theater.

Debonne Vineyards

For those of you who are of age, grab a glass of wine at the largest winery in Ohio. Debonne Vineyards is in Madison, Ohio, which is about an hour away from Carroll. Dine and drink outside for lunch or dinner anytime between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Wineries are gorgeous outside when the trees and flowers are in full bloom. What better place to drink with beautiful scenery in the background than the largest winery around? Debonne serves white, red, and specialty wines, so there are plenty of options to accompany your next outdoor girls’ night under the stars.    

Little Italy

Now that it’s nice enough to be outside without a heavy coat, Little Italy is the perfect place for good food and good scenery. Walk through the streets of Little Italy, grab a bite to eat from Mama Santa’s, then walk to Corbo’s Bakery for an Italian dessert. After your stomach is happy, take in the sights that will make your inner Italian happy because I know you want to be Italian. We have the best food. This is also a great place to get out your spring dresses “for the first time in forever!” We can still do Frozen jokes, right?

Pretty soon we’re all going to be lounging on the Quad curled up with our favorite Accounting textbook. You know, just as soon as Carroll Ocean clears away. Happy Spring!