sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips for Moving Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Now that the semester has almost come to an end, collegiettes everywhere are focused on more than just finals. What else is the major stressor (besides the idea of living at home for the summer)? PACKING. It never fails that you accumulate way more stuff than you brought in last August, which can make the packing and moving process seem daunting and horrible. But never fear, Her Campus JCU is here with five tips to make moving out almost painless!

1. Pack in bins

Courtesy of: Rubbermaid.com

If you’re anything like I was, you’re still stuck on the idea that clothes only get packed in suitcases and duffle bags. Here’s the thing: that idea creates a lot of wasted space and awkwardly shaped items that force you to play tetris with your belongings in the trunk of your car. It’s actually far easier and less stressful to pack up your clothing in those big plastic bins that have lids that lock in place via the handles. Here’s why: you can fit way more clothing into the plastic bins. Plus, it’s a standard rectangular-shaped container that doesn’t have the lumps and bumps of traditional suitcases, which makes loading up the car far easier. Even better is the fact that any extra space in the bin can then be filled up with small non-clothing items, like jewelry pouches or small trinkets that you’ve collected during the year. Bins are also a really easy way to pack up your bedding.

2. Put any spillable items in ziplock bags

While this is probably a common-knowledge tip, it’s always worth the reminder. You always hear the stories of the woman on vacation whose shampoo bottle breaks open and ruins all of her clothing in her suitcase. Don’t let this be you! Put everything that is liquid or has spilling/staining potential into a baggie. I tend to recommend gallon bags because you can fit more in them and they work better for larger items. If you don’t have a lot to pack, share the box with your roomie! It’s easier to pack safely now instead of crying when you find out that your favorite top got ruined when your nail polish remover spilled.

3. Pack gradually

Instead of doing the packing equivalent of cramming for an exam, pack things up as you don’t need them anymore. Do you know that you won’t be wearing anything but sweats during finals week? Pack up the clothes that you aren’t going to wear. Bonus points if you plan your outfits ahead of time to reduce stress even more! Go through and pack up all of the things in your desk that you won’t be using, too. Things that can definitely be packed up early? Extra writing utensils, jewelry you aren’t going to wear, shoes you won’t be wearing, any extra toiletries that you have, etc. Keep a bin or a box in the corner of your room and pack things as you go.

4. Donate things

Do you have things that you know you aren’t going to wear or use anymore? Instead of dragging all of your extra stuff home, get rid of it while you’re at school. There are donation bins for everthing from books to toiletries in the atrium of the student center. If you really don’t need that free t-shirt you got at that event last semester, throw it in the donation box instead of the boxes destined for your house. The likelihood that you wear all of those shirts is slim to none anyway! Besides, donating the stuff that you don’t need anymore helps other people, and there’s no better way to feel good about yourself than to give to others.

5. Water and vinegar are your friends

Courtesy of: diyful.com

More of a cleaning tip than a packing tip, but important none the less: water and vinegar are your friends. A solution of the two liquids makes a fantastic cleaning solution that even shines up the wood furniture, plus it will get rid of nasty odors. Pick up one of the empty plastic spray bottles at Target (in the sample section near cosmetics), and fill it up with a solution of equal parts water and vinegar, and you’re good to go! It’s fantastic for wiping down pretty much every surface in the dorm. It works wonders getting sticky residue from tape, stickers, or spilled sugary drinks off of the floor and the walls.

Allison Gall is a senior English major at John Carroll University. She is also a member of Kappa Delta Sorority. While not doing school work, Allison is involved in several other activities, including working with her church and taking Taekwondo. Allison also loves to read and write, sing, play violin, swim, and run. She is also interested in fashion, and she is known among her friends as the go-to person for hair and makeup help.