4 Easy Dorm Room Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

We all have those days when we really don’t want to make the walk to the dining hall, whether it is because of the snow or lack of time. However, it is easy to have all three meals (and dessert) in your dorm room if needed! Here are a few recipes to try next time you are running late or just feel like staying in.

Breakfast: Eggs in a Mug

Really craving eggs? Quick fix! You can cook eggs in the microwave in less than three minutes!

Things you’ll need:

1 mug

1 fork

2 eggs

4 tablespoons of milk

Salt and Pepper (optional)

Whatever else you want!

1.      Combine the eggs and milk into the mug. If you want salt and pepper, add that as well. Then, scramble the eggs with a fork.

2.      Add whatever ingredients you want. You can add cheese, ham, bread, or any veggie that you want!

3.      Stir everything together and put in into the microwave for 2 ½ minutes.

Boom! You have yourself eggs in a mug!

Lunch: Microwave Quesadilla

Such an easy lunch, and you have so many possibilities! This recipe is great if you need to grab your food and go. Plus, it is super inexpensive.

Things you’ll need:

1 flour tortilla

1 Kraft single/any type of cheese

Yet again, you can add whatever else you want!

This one is super easy. Just lay the tortilla on a plate and place the cheese (with whatever else you want) on one side of the tortilla. Fold in half, and microwave for 20 to 30 seconds. 

Dinner: Ramen with Egg (one of my personal favorites!)

I know it sounds crazy, but ramen and egg? Trust me, it is an awesome meal if you don’t feel like leaving the comfort of your dorm room. You can also add veggies if you have them around.

Things you’ll need:

1 mug or bowl

1 brick of Ramen

1 flavor packet

1 or 2 eggs

1.      First, break the Ramen up so it fits into your mug or bowl. Fill it up with water until most of the noodles are covered.

2.      In a separate cup, crack the egg(s). You can scramble them if you like or you can add them in with the yolk intact. I usually just crack them in a separate container to make sure no pesky egg shells get into the Ramen!

3.      Add the eggs to the Ramen. If you want anything else in, add it now.

4.      Pop the Ramen mix into the microwave for about 5 minutes or until the eggs are fully cooked.

Careful while cooking, because the water will sometimes bubble over. To prevent this, break up the cooking time (cook for 2 minutes, stir, cook for the other 3).

5.      Add the flavor packet and stir. Let sit for about a 1 minute and then enjoy!

Dessert: Gooey Chocolate Mug Cake

Never feel guilty about treating yourself to a little dessert! With the recipe, you get the perfect single serving of chocolaty goodness.

Things you’ll need:

1 mug

1 fork

¼ powdered sugar

1 – 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder

1 egg

(Yes, I know most college students do not have powdered sugar or cocoa powder, but I promise it is worth it!)

1.       Add the egg, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder together in a mug.

2.      Whisk them together with the fork until it is completely mixed.

3.      Pop it in the microwave for 50-60 seconds (or until it is cooked the whole way through)

4.      Now you can add ice cream, chocolate chips, or whipped cream.

Treat yourself! You deserve it!

Links:

Eggs in a Mug: https://kareninthekitchen.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/eggs-in-a-mug/

Quesadillas: http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/cheese-quesadillas-55039.aspx

Gooey Chocolate Mug Cake: http://www.babble.com/best-recipes/3-ingredients-60-seconds-gooey-chocolate-mug-cake/

Hello there! I am a sophomore at John Carroll University. I am majoring in Sociology with a double minor in Engish and Peace, Justice, and Human Rights so I stay pretty busy. I someday hope to go into Social Work and then go on to help end the stigma associated with mental health. I am a proud Kappa Delta and will often be sporting my letters. You will either find me singing songs from Frozen on the KD floor, in the library, or grabbing a quick decaf coffee before class.
Brittany, a Senior at JCU, has a passion for tea, books, writing, and London. As an English major, you can usually find her curled up with a good book somewhere on-campus (usually in O'Malley). She loves everything about Her Campus, and she finds it extremely exciting and rewarding to be a Campus Correspondent!