This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

As we all know, this past Tuesday, Nov. 6, was the midterm elections. I, like many others, was hopeful for the so-called “blue wave,” and although we may not have gotten as big of a wave as we wanted, it was still a pretty successful election for the Democrats. But political parties aside, this year was an incredible year for women. There were so many “firsts” from this election, and I would like to share some of those with you now:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: this 29 year-old became the youngest woman elected to Congress.

Kristi Noem: first woman from South Dakota to be elected governor.

Rashida Tlaib & Ilhan Omar: both became the first Muslim women elected to Congress.

Abby Finkenauer and Cindy Axne: both became the first women from Iowa elected to the House of Representatives.

Sharice Davids and Deb Haaland: both became the first Native American women elected to Congress.

Janet Mills: first woman from Maine to be elected as a governor.

Ayanna Pressley: first black woman from Massachusetts elected to Congress.

Marsha Blackburn: first woman from Tennessee elected as a Senator.

Veronica Escobar and Sylvia Garcia: both became the first Latinas from Texas elected to Congress.

Congratulations to all of these women, and congratulations to America for surviving another election.

Grace is a JCU senior, double majoring in Theology & Religious Studies and Political Science. She loves social justice, Disney, and joking about absolutely everything. Her specialty is ranking movies.
JCU Campus Correspondent