This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jax State chapter.

College is fun; you make memories and you have your independence. College is also extremely stressful! One of the most stressful things about college, in my opinion, is picking a major. Its hard to ask eighteen year olds, or even twenty-five year olds, what they want t d for the rest of their life. There are so many options, there are so many courses, and there is so much money involved. Maybe you know 100% your career path, kind of have it narrowed down, or maybe your still undecided- that’s okay. It is not set in stone, and you can always change or go back to school, but here are some helpful tips to maybe make picking a major a little easier.

1. Think about the classes you have taken that you genuinely enjoyed or found interesting

While your career most likely won’t be exactly like your favorite class, this is a great indication of what you enjoy. If you hated every math class you’ve taken, choose a major besides math. If science or history put you to sleep, pick something else. It’s okay to try classes that seem irrelevant to the pathway you’re currently on because you might find your passion by accident. I know college is expensive and we all are ready to graduate and be successful, but slow down long enough to really consider all of your interests, all the possibilities. It’s better, in my opinion, to stay in college an extra semester than to spend the rest of your life in a career you hate, or never using the degree you worked so hard for.

1. Consider if you are willing to put in the work

This one is tough, but this is where self evaluation and honesty play a huge role. You know what you’re willing to work for and you know the requirements for certain careers. Be honest with yourself as to if you’re willing to put I the time, money, and effort some degrees require. My mama always told me and my sister,  “You can’t just be anything you want to be, but you can be anything you want to work for,” and I agree.  So really have a heart-to-heart with yourself about your ambitions and your educational endurance.

1. Consider the demand for that field

While this may not be a deciding factor on whether or not you change majors, it may make a difference on how hard you work or how far you take you education. Just do a little Googling and see what percent of graduates get hired in your field and what degree most employers look for. One hundred percent may get hired directly out of college, but they may require a masters degree. It’s good to talk with your adviser too, just be open and honest about the need for more of whatever you want to be. Like I said, this may not deter you- and I hope it doesn’t, if you are pursuing your passion- but it is a good reminder of how competitive today’s workforce is and what we need to do to market our skills.

1. Think about the lifestyle you want

Money isn’t everything, but it is important. While you shouldn’t pick your major or career solely on how many commas will be on your check, you do need to be able to sustain yourself. Student loans are no joke. Groceries, bills, and gas are all expensive. Be sure that whatever you decide to put you time and energy into will yield the lifestyle and results you can be satisfied with.

1. Picture yourself doing said career for the next 40 years

For new graduates, retirement is still a ways off, so be sure (or at least mostly sure) that the major and career you’ve picked will be something you can see doing until you’re 60. If you pick something you love, something that challenges you just enough, or something that fulfills and fills you- you’ll never work a day in your life.

1. Consider your personal strengths and weaknesses

This tip kind of goes along with #2. Be honest with what you can handle. Take a personality test if you are really lost (or take one anyway they are super fun)! If blood makes you queasy, avoid medical pathways. If you’re awesome at tutoring peers, consider educational careers. You have a individualized skill set that is unique only to you. Don’t sell yourself short, but don’t sign up for something you’ll dread daily.

1. Talk to people already in that field or shadow

This one may be the most helpful. The best way to know what your job is going to be like is to talk with, or shadow, people already in the field. If you’re interested in nursing, talk to nurses about the real demands of their job. Shadow doctors or lawyers or teachers to get a real glimpse into the nitty-gritty, everyday of your chosen career. If you are still undecided, shadow everyone you can, you may find your passion somewhere you never imagined!

Hannah Knight

Jax State '18

Georgia Native. Panhellenic President. Communications Major.