Rowdy but Not Reckless

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jax State chapter.

College is AWESOME! There are so many things to get involved in and so many opportunities to have a good time. While college is the doorway for the rest of your life, it does not have to be all work and no play; just make sure the recreational decisions you make today do not decide the rest of your life. While it is true that you do not have to drink to have a good time, pretending that college students are NEVER going to drink, never going to get drunk, and never going to go out is naïve and irresponsible. 

Now if you do not drink, you can still benefit by continuing to read, and if you do drink, do so responsibly. I know most, if not all of us have had “safety courses” and “online educational modules,” but most of the time (at least for me) I kind of skip through those because “I already know how to be a responsible drinker.” We have all had the talk about alcohol, and we all know the steps to being a responsible drinker, and still, one in 5 women and one in 16 men are sexually assaulted while in colleges and 1,825 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 die from alcohol-related unintentional injuries, including motor-vehicle crashes.

The statistics are never going to change if we don’t!

It may seem lame, or even rude to be a responsible drinker, but personally I would rather someone butt in instead of everyone watch as I became a statistic. You may think “I don’t even know her/him/them” or “They are obviously just having a good time” or “I’ll wait until the perfect opportunity before just barging into their business.” But please if you are even the least bit unsure about a situation, especially when alcohol/drugs are involved, speak up.

If you are not planning on drinking, stick to it- if you say you are the designated driver that is not something you should change your mind on. If you are planning on drinking, make plans beforehand to ensure that you go, have a good time, and get home safely.

I know it is uncomfortable to be the one who speaks out, or the one who asks for help, but it is so important for us to look after each other and ourselves. Most of these suggestions, we’ve all heard before, all I’m asking is that we actually use them. Really be intentional and honest about your intentions when going out, because a lot of incidents could be avoided if “safety-nets” were put in place.

“Safey-nets” for Going Out

Sober Party Go-er

Intoxicated Party Go-er

• Go in a group
  • Keep an eye out for your girlfriends, make sure they aren’t getting into regrettable decisions
  • Never let the people in your group out of your sight for too long
  • Be strong and assertive with your friends who are drinking, only let them go as far as the specified the wanted to get BEFORE they started drinking
  • Remain sober if people are counting on you for a way home
  • Even though it may be annoying or inconvenient to “babysit” your friends who are drinking, I promise its better to be inconvenienced than have something horrible on your conscience
  • Be patient
  • Do not wander off from the people you came with, or at least let them know where you are going
  • Specify with your friends how far you want to go, whether sexually or intoxication-wise
  • Have a driver or a place to stay lined up before going out
  • Don’t take a drink if you don’t know what is in it or where it came from
  • Be sure to thank your sober friend for taking care of you, possibly switch out being the DD

As women it is especially important that we look out for each other and ourselves- even more so when any one of us is under the influence. I know it is not fair, and we should be able to go, have a good time, and never once worry about being taken advantage of- but the world is imperfect and life is unfair. It isn’t right, but that’s the way it is. We must continually make strides to educate others and ourselves on such things as drinking, sexual assault, and the dangers of driving while impaired. It is honorable and important to strive for a world where things like sexual assault doesn’t exist, but until that happens, be safe ladies!

A special dedication to all the brave survivors of sexual assault and to those women who speak up for them; Survivor, you are beautiful and priceless, you are not alone- we support you and cheer you on every day.

Jacksonville State // Panhellenic Council // Phi Mu