Life > Experiences

Meet Your Philanthropy and Events Coordinator

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jax State chapter.

Hey y’all, my name is Emily Upton and I am from Douglasville, Georgia. If you don’t know where Douglasville is, if you hop on I-20 and head east toward Atlanta, you’ll pass right through my hometown.  

I enjoy hiking, kayaking, running, and watching my cat run around a attack my plants (it’s a lot more fun than it sounds, I promise). I am a nursing student and active in three separate organizations, so I don’t have that free time. I also recently got engaged to my best friend, so a ton of my time is focused on planning our dream wedding (shout out to Pinterest)!  

Like I mentioned earlier, I am a nursing major! I’ve always known I wanted to be in the medical field, but I never quite knew where. After working in a clinic in Romania for a week, I realized I wanted to be a nurse. I want to take care of people and help them learn how to take care of themselves. I want to comfort and reassure people who are hurting when they are at their most vulnerable, when they’re scared. I have always been interested in being a Labor and Delivery nurse because I want to be there when two people become a family. I don’t think I could ever get bored helping bring new lives into the world.  

Her Campus helps me stay encouraged to continue fighting for my own future! Some days, on the really hard, busy days, it’s hard to keep my own head up; that’s why I love having at least ten other women pushing me to succeed. I hope I am the encouragement these women need as well.