Heart on Your Sleeve!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jax State chapter.

I don’t know about you but, it is so hard for me to hide how I feel. I am the epitome of the phrase “wear your heart on your sleeve.” For those of you who may not know this phrase, it means to always show people your real feelings, which can make you vulnerable. I have never been the type of person to bottle up my feelings and keep everything to myself. In my opinion, that is a very dangerous habit for anyone to have. Imagine putting a cap on top of the most violent volcano, which is the Kilauea Volcano located in Hawaii – just a side note. Sooner or later, probably sooner, it will explode and become a hot mess….(pun intended).

No one wants to be a “volcano” all the time because it’s draining, lonely, confusing, and it takes more energy to pretend that everything is fine rather than addressing the specific issue as soon as it happens. I know for most people, like me, whose heart is exposed, it can sometimes be annoying for people to ask you “How are you?” or “What’s wrong?” all the time, but remember the result of talking is better than erupting. Wearing your heart on your sleeve doesn’t make you overly emotional or weak, it shows that you are honest about who you are and that you aren’t afraid of what people might say, or do, or react. So, for those of you who are “volcanos” I encourage you to open up and embrace your emotions and express your true feelings.  

Jacksonville State // Panhellenic Council // Phi Mu