This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jax State chapter.

It’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month and there are so many of us who have been affected by this disease, whether it be by loved ones or ourselves. My late Aunt Anita passed 1 year ago, 2 years this spring, from Breast Cancer. My aunt was a beautiful and strong woman that was loved by everyone she met. Growing up, she taught me how to take care of my body and perform self examinations to always stay ahead and be proactive. When I was 14, I discovered a mass and she was the first person I called and was there with me throughout all of my hospital visits. Later, finding out I was benign, I was still scared and self conscious of finding another one.  So, my aunt began to teach me her healthy lifestyle and eating habits that she made the day she found out about her breast cancer. Ever since, I have always been an advocate for Breast Cancer Awareness and hoping to teach young girls that it is never to early to ask questions and learn how to self exam. Now that she has passed on, I am even more passionate. My family and I lost a true angel that January, but we dedicate everyday to her in hopes that she is smiling down at us. I love you Auntie Nita , Fly High …