Style

The Ultimate Shopping Guide: Plus Size Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUPUI chapter.

Picture this, you are walking through a store and spot the most gorgeous sweater that you just know is going to be yours, no matter the price tag. You quickly gather your things and haul yourself over to the rack. Amazed by the texture, quality and print, you immediately start flipping through the sizes. Your heart begins to shatter as you realize the largest size they sell is large. I am sure that several of you reading this have experienced the same gut wrenching and frustrating feeling.

As a woman in college, it can be difficult to embrace your body, regardless of your size. It can be difficult to gain the motivation to take a trip to the store and try clothes on. It can be difficult to find clothes that make you feel confident and happy. For women over size 12, it can feel nearly impossible to hunt down a store that sells your size clothing which you consider trendy.

If you are anything like me, you have noticed that stores have begun creating clothing with inclusive sizing in mind, but you are still not fully satisfied. The small section in the back of the store labeled “Plus Size,” is often filled with clothing styled for your 90-year-old grandma or your 5-year-old cousin. Clothing with big floral prints or clothing with rhinestones and sequins. The clothing is not only the furthest away from trendy but is often massively disproportionate to our actual bodies.

There is an immense amount of labor that goes into shopping and putting together outfits. It can feel exhausting and draining. If most of your closet contains leggings and oversize shirts and sweatshirts just so you can be comfortable, this is for you! Here are the best clothing stores for college aged plus size women.

Old Navy

cQZTWeFw1j3lz Zxlj90RcYjeqMsfiueW12jl0lJnVR5nK7g7GbFlDqBvk bJigomuvhW H6fXPGBjIiqC5ZRxzAzGgpVe1pim11mV 5LPeR k1wG8wcNdQGrm UrDk9fHUTXaxa3IeBpj05D8Vx

I know, I know… Old Navy is the place your mother used to drag you to after school as a child to get your family matching Christmas pajamas. The store offers very inclusive women’s sizing of 0 – 30 and XS – 4X. Every item you find in a size XS, can also be found in a 4X! Not only is the sizing inclusive, but you can almost always find a sale on your favorite items. If not, head on over to the $5 and under rack to grab yourself an extra pair of jeans, shorts, shirts, bodysuits, or sweaters. When shopping online through the website, you can change the size of the model you are viewing clothes on. This will allow each shopper to see what the clothing might look like on a similar body type to theirs. 

Shein

O6gMaiF6YAjTFcqT qyxRcXg2dfG8cwDmjtIuz00aD2lCCw ZNJSgDRFchF8Plw3sbIJn6vaVxu75v95909Bg5x68hhzMvr6oam5K3dbY78q6b2pAWdqzcOut9

Shopping on a budget? There is no better place to look than SHEIN. The online website has a category called “Curve”. Under this section, you will find an abundance of clothing items for any and every occasion. The best part, there is a customer review section where you can see pictures, comments, and opinions about each clothing item to ensure you are getting exactly what you want!

Chic Soul

y2IpPXwlBjPbbH8WCpjW27Fwx31LLV7pwVzamJRxN8BNIy90PfAJAzCY1kUz RHtZtV4mlRKCLJEDL2P4EwpNQbj0RiN6Vv7f8wGZiOM76HYteYoz HOqJrzpgJFWfSLflu4gXIqN1TmTsFKWn7MT1j5AUpL1901

Chic Soul is one of my favorite little online boutiques that is catered to plus size women. Here, you will find the latest plus size clothing styles and trends that were designed to flatter your figure and embrace your curves. With fast shipping, consistent sales, and staple pieces that will last a lifetime, you can get it all right here!

H&M Plus

KNfzSLZ6EoFlas6Wkf4MBes7lCzzfKmDiCbaePvJEE9JzuPfetG63kPCzN5Ngp nUyZLZrfg3Sl6dFuJ0INnD5Jt

H&M offers a shopping experience for women size xs-4x. You will find flattering pieces without compromising on the latest trends. If you need an outfit for work, a night out, the gym, or lingerie, H&M has you covered. You can even unlock a student discount of 15% off with Student Beans! Who doesn’t love a discount?

Princess Polly plus

mjO6PIgjxkiluogndggkOe9SZUSZ6H

Princess Polly Curve offers plus size clothing up to a size 20. Bright colors, vibrant patterns and a style for every occasion. For us broke college students, make sure to check out the “Sale Curve” tab to shop your favorite looks at a discounted price.

Fashion to figure

msIUKWhlA0YQlv FlzhEIaVaXgcxEhyAWv2oeWnHt5ksjciGP6c5mV3eC9cgbp0z9QojHwx3X3O5EW3E fwYi4vFmA74rNrfWov0PWOhM3PvUEy0iR1YcvlibMpvPRmkTljlnKPEmVtCIkX2X7HXfn U HVPI Rj5vBKpG0Mh99GUcFI9V9o0uL9cMySmA

Wanting to start your own trend and stand out in a crowd? Fashion to Figure has some of the boldest colors and unique styles. Dresses, tops, jeans, bottoms, outerwear, and shoes. Whatever you are looking for, they have it all! The store offers trendy plus size fashion, sizes 12-28, exclusively designed and meticulously fit to celebrate your curves.

Boohoo

0klWyj4HjwAoi5QW76vclfRDPyHBFIX2qiaBIGXNwPcHXGgMOrURaxA7EwASc6feb R9AkO7 WFhY56JlW2iy8Bz9yjfx88AWX1 sBhl1zkITQLlF995cZijtCV7TZr5EXhURWQeUyMEkJAWKU7r9jGlfCBnxxQlHFypcGB8D ZbKw

Whether you want to feel empowered on a date night, make a statement at a party, or cozy up in the hottest loungewear, Boohoo has your back. With a size range of 0-26, these clothes are sure to flatter your figure. Subscribe to their email notifications and get an extra 10% discount on your first purchase.

2020 ave

O1bDDUlDvtsSHV jSciayvPZDCtCh9bMDTFwMu8Rh2vD

2020 Ave is the cutest boutique located in Los Angeles. Bringing you the latest trends and daily style necessities, this boutique has the most stunning outfits. Unfortunately, the sizing only goes up to 3x, but if that includes you, head over to their website and start filling up your cart!

These suggestions may be a great start for you to advance your knowledge within the plus size fashion industry. Everyone has their own preferences with fashion. This means styles, colors, and patterns will vary for everyone. These stores offer a variety of clothing tailored to plus size women with numerous fashion trends in mind. I urge you to not only check out the suggested stores listed above, but also do your own research when it comes to the places your shop. Invest in the stores that invest in you!

Cassidy is the Vice President of the IUPUI chapter of Her Campus. She is a senior Communication Studies major with a Medical Humanities and Health Studies minor. Cassidy has a passion for trying new things, learning new skills, and meeting new people!