Style > Fashion

Summer ’23 Lookbook: 5 Go-To Looks For Your Summer Getaway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUPUI chapter.

There is no better time than Summer break to fulfill your New Year’s resolution of loving yourself and your body. What better way to do that than discovering your style? If you are in the search for practical summer getaway fashion inspo, we’ve got your back. We have made a lookbook with a variety of fashion compilations from your favorite brands, containing looks of various fashion genres, from boho to retro. Here are 5 unique looks that you should try incorporating during your summer vacation.

Look 1: Letter to the sea

Screen Shot 2023 04 25 at 11.28.46 PM

Whether you want to spend your day reading Colleen Hoover on a beach chair by the pool, go beach-hopping, or go sightseeing, the Free People Convertible Maxi Skirt is a great option that breaks the myth that fashion knows nothing of comfort. This Maxi Skirt can be worn as both a Maxi Skirt and a Maxi Dress, covering two outfits and avoiding the sulking of not knowing what to wear.  Nothing goes better with the skirt than the Free People Belle The Label Kiss Crop Bikini Top. You can also match this top with a perfect Coffee Brown bikini bottom. It isn’t a lie when fashion experts on TikTok say that adding layers to your outfit can make or break the look and good jewelry stands for good layering. That’s what the Sasha Genuine Stone Cord Necklace from Urban Outfitters was made for. This Necklace comes in various colors and you can add it to any of your summer outfits to step up your fashion game. 

Step your fashion game up to another level with an effortless hair look by spraying in some Ouai Wave Spray in your hair, giving it a salt-free salty look to go well with your beachy vacation itinerary. Last but not least, what is a good outfit without good footwear? Cinderella wasn’t lying when she said that one shoe can change your life and that’s why we have to bring the Mocha Birkibuck from Birkenstock’s Mayari Collection into play. This pair of footwear is the perfect combination of comfort and style, giving you the comfort and grip that you need when you walk down the long shores of an ocean, while still making you look stylish. 

Look 2: Cute Marsh- Girl

Screen Shot 2023 04 25 at 11.33.42 PM

I am not the only one that got inspired by Daisy Edgar-Jones’ style in ‘Where the Crawdads Sing’. This “Cute Marsh-Girl” look will let you walk, run, and ride on a bicycle with absolutely no restrictions while making you look cute for the pictures. The Abercrombie & Fitch Oversized White Shirt is as light as air on your skin, which for sure solves the problem of the sticky feeling of fabric over your highly hydrated and SPF drenched skin. The best part is, you’ll look as effortlessly cute as Serena from the OG ‘Gossip Girl’ television series. The shirt can either be worn over the White Triangle Bralette open like a jacket to give a monochromatic effect or buttoned up, depending on what you want. Abercrombie plays the game best with sustainability and their Yellow Linen-Blend Wide Leg Pant will have you covered for more than just summer, because of its transformative nature.You can wear it to a business conference or for a cozy Sunday Target shopping spree. 

A good tote bag is a must-have for everyone, especially for a summer getaway. The Mesh Tote from Public Goods is so neat and has room for all of your SPF and spray-tan bottles. Finally, a pair of Slide Sandals from Sam Edelman to finish the look. 

Look 3: Hot Retro

Screen Shot 2023 04 25 at 11.33.57 PM

Fashion is for sure a cycle and retro is back in the game. That’s why you should have the Jane Red V-Wire Bralette Bikini from Boho Pink in your wardrobe. Hop into a pair of Low-Rise Bootcut Jeans from PacSun to flaunt that hot red bikini when going to the beach for a dip. Elevate the look with the help of SOREL Olive Kinetic Impact Slide Sandals. For a final touch, rub some Surf Paste from Sun Bum onto your hair for ocean-kissed hair and glaze your body with the Osea Algae Body Oil.

Look 4: Comfy lounge look

Screen Shot 2023 04 25 at 11.34.07 PM

Affirmative Clothing has become a part of our lives and who makes better affirmative clothes than Miss Indy Blue? Go buy yourself some flowers or relax in your hotel lounge wearing this green Lonely Ghost Hoodie and a pair of Oatmeal Heather sweat-shorts from the real yogis: Alo Moves. Is it comfortable if there’s not a single pair of Converse there? Not at all. Get into a pair of Converse’s signature pair of Cream High Tops. Grab a Mini Leather Shoulder Bag from JW PEI to hold your wallet (to buy that Matcha Latte), your SPF stick (because it’s summer), and your favorite lip gloss. Also, don’t forget the Cat Eye Sunglasses.

Look 5: Western Night Out

Screen Shot 2023 04 25 at 11.34.16 PM

Warm summer nights are perfect for going out to the bar. Bars are the perfect place to pull off a good Western Look. Whip up a quick Western look with the Maya Ivory Floral Off-the-Shoulder Mini Dress from Boho Pink, accompanied by the Coconuts Gaucho Two Tone Cowboy Boots from DSW. Hold on! We aren’t done! Going out and good jewelry are synonymous. Pair up the Love + Luck Multi Charm Interchangeable Bracelet from Alex + Ani, with the Emilie Gold Corded Bracelet in Iridescent Drusy from Kendra Scott. To finish the look, bring in the Ring Set from Target’s Wild Fable collection. 

Prathika is the Senior Editor of IUPUI's Her Campus chapter and she doesn't refer to herself as a writer most of the times.