Career

Your ‘How to Crush a Job Interview’ Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Interviewing for jobs can be scary. Being prepared physically and mentally is a MUST, but knowing where to start can be tricky. Here’s your guide on how to crush your next job interview.

Research research research!

Knowing about the company and position you are interviewing for is crucial when going into your interview. It looks great to interviewers when you show them that you took the time to look into their company. It shows that you are prepared and really interested in that position. Mention facts you learned about the job/company throughout the interview or at the end when asking questions.

Review Common interview questions

Be prepared for a lot of questions. Here are a couple that you may be asked at your next interview:

• What is your biggest weakness?
  • What are three words that describe you?
  • Tell me about a time that you failed.
  • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
  • Why should we hire you?
  • What are your strengths?
  • What motivates you?
  • What is your leadership style?

Practice your answers to these questions beforehand and run them past family or friends to be more prepared.

Bring a copy of your resume

Always have a copy of your resume on hand. This will help you outline your past work history and accomplishments clearly and easily. Although many interviewers may have printed up their own copy, it’s better to be safe rather than sorry if they haven’t.

Dress accordingly

Know your audience. Dressing professionally for an interview is one of the most important parts. It can show that you are serious about the position and put effort into your appearance for the interview. If you are unsure of what to wear, business casual is usually a safe bet. Unless it is specified that you should wear casual (every day) clothing, I would definitely go with a business casual outfit.

Sell yourself

You have to be confident and proud of your past experience. Make the interviewer feel like they will miss out if they don’t hire you for the position. Highlight your strengths and accomplishments. Going into the interview will a positive outlook and really sell yourself to the interviewer.

Have questions prepared

Show your interest in the position by asking the interviewer your own questions. You can ask about the work environment, what an average day looks like to their employees, or if there are any special perks that come with the job. Just make sure your questions are appropriate and professional.

Send thank-you notes (or emails)

After your interview, send a thank-you note or email to your interviewer. Tell them that you appreciate them taking the time to meet with you and that you continue to be excited by the position. This will show the company that you enjoyed the interview and that you really want the job.

Cat Mom. Journalism Major. HUGE Harry Styles Fan. True Crime Lover.