This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

When your mom tells you to get involved on campus, it can sound intimidating and might stir up anxiety. Yet as someone who has never been outgoing or comfortable around strangers, getting involved with college organizations has become super important to me.

Whether it’s just one group or as many as your schedule will allow, being a member of something gives your presence at college more meaning and can be a relief from overwhelming assignments. It also gives you the opportunity to make friends and combat loneliness, which the pandemic has amplified.

A group that is based on your major is even better because it encourages studying, among other major focused things. It also doesn’t hurt to know who is in your major- this can help you make friends and have resources when you need help.

You’ve already taken a leap of faith by going to college, so why not take another?  

Madison is a nursing major with a drive to make a positive impact on others. As head CC, Madison collaborates with her co-CC to make the IUP chapter fun, welcoming, and creative! Her Campus has opened the door for opportunity and friendship for Madison that she hopes to share with others.