This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Two years ago, when I first began to consider colleges I’d like to attend, I had my sights set on going to a big school far away from my hometown of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I wanted a school with an ocean right down the road, a constantly cloudless sky, and an average temperature no lower than seventy-five degrees.

Flash forward to the present, and here I am at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania, where the closest thing we have to an ocean is the giant puddle that accumulates in the Oak Grove after one of Indiana’s many rainstorms.

Despite IUP’s less than tropical location, attending this school is easily one of the best decisions I have ever made. And though I still have a few years left here at IUP, I can still create an endless list of reasons why I am proud to call the Indiana University of Pennsylvania my home. But for purposes of time, here are just a few.

5.) The Cost

Because it is a state school, Indiana University of Pennsylvania’s tuition is quite affordable. Students from in-state spend less than $10,000 a year on tuition. But if you are from out of state, there is no reason to fear. IUP offers discounted prices to students from Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Virginia, and West Virginia. Students who aren’t from these states can still receive the discounted price if they have a cumulative B average, and IUP offers numerous departmental, merit, and need-based scholarships, all to help make attending even more affordable. Compare IUP’s prices to other private schools’ prices, which can sometimes be as high as $40,000 or $50,000 a year, and those pesky student loans don’t seem so bad anymore!

4.) The Faculty

Before I went to college, I was under the impression that my professors would show up to class, talk at me for an hour, and leave. That is the farthest thing from the truth at IUP! Within the first week of class, all of my professors knew my name and major and were very willing to help me with any questions I had. They made me feel welcome, which was extremely important since I was in a brand new school and knew absolutely no one. They also teach their lessons in fun and interactive ways, making sure they engage students in hands-on activities. Overall, every professor I have had has expressed a genuine interest in helping me do my best. It’s great knowing that they are always willing to go the extra mile so I can learn as much as possible.

3.) The Campus Activities

One thing you’ll notice right away when stepping onto IUP’s campus for the first time: There. Are. Flyers. EVERYWHERE. In the student union, in the bathroom stalls, and even written in chalk on the sidewalks are advertisements for different activities happening on campus. If you can’t find something to do on campus that interests you, then you aren’t looking hard enough. IUP has clubs for everything, from Sailing Club to Anime Club.  The best part about these clubs is how enthusiastic they are about new members joining. So you decide to go to a meeting for a club for the first time right in the middle of the semester? No problem! The members will welcome you with open arms and you’ll meet so many great new people. By joining clubs that interested me, I got to get involved with causes that I was extremely passionate about and develop skills that could help me later on in my career. 

2.) The Town of Indiana

It’s no secret that IUP’s campus is beautiful. Its peaceful atmosphere is maintained by the many trees in the Oak Grove, brilliant gardens planted outside of residence halls, and nothing can beat watching sunrises and sunsets from the porch of Sutton Hall. But off-campus is just as lovely. Indiana is a quaint, rural town. Its downtown area has paved sidewalks and small, local shops where the employees know you by name. There are several small cafes that are great for doing homework or catching up with friends, and affordable eateries that are perfect for anyone that wants a break from on campus dining. Indiana, Pennsylvania has a familiar, small town feel that is very easy to call home.

1.) The People

One of the most exciting things about college is getting to meet all sorts of new people, and that definitely happens at IUP. Just because IUP is in western Pennsylvania certainly does not mean that only people from Pittsburgh or other western towns study here. I have met students from Philadelphia, Erie, New York, Wisconsin, and even Florida. Of course, the students who attend IUP aren’t exclusively American. In fact, IUP has over 800 foreign exchange students from 60 different countries. Though IUP’s population is culturally diverse, there is one constant when it comes to the students here: everybody is friendly! Whether they are a freshman, senior, or second-year grad student, each student is welcoming and very passionate about their major. As a freshman, I never experienced any of the condescending “fresh meat” remarks that I received in high school, and especially within the first few weeks of school, I noticed that everybody is enthusiastic about meeting new people and making new friends. Overall, IUP has one of the friendliest atmospheres I have ever experienced. I wouldn’t trade my time here for the world!

I am a student at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania with two strong passions: education and travel. I plan to combine the two by teaching English abroad after I receive my degree in English education and Spanish education. But for now, I am enjoying my time at IUP and life in general! I feel that a day in which I didn't express myself is a day wasted. I love to develop my music taste by DJing for IUP's radio station. I also really enjoy cooking and adding my own twist to recipes - I hope to make a vegetarian cookbook someday! Finally, I have always had a love for writing, which is how I got involved with Her Campus in the first place. I started as a contributing writer, and now I am a campus correspondent for IUP's chapter of Her Campus. I look forward to working with all of the other students who belong to this great organization and cannot wait to see what will happen when all of our creativity and ideas mix together!