cdc n3mn7IgtwS4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
cdc n3mn7IgtwS4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Career

Why I Changed My Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

When I was a senior in high school I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I was so worried about leaving my hometown and my family, but I knew I didn’t want to be a nurse. So I applied to the medical imaging major at the local hospital. I felt pretty good about it. I got to live at home and I saved a lot of money, but X-Ray was a lot different than I thought it was. I had only ever had 2 X-rays taken in my life and I was really young, so I couldn’t remember how it went. I didn’t want to be a nurse because I didn’t feel comfortable touching people’s bodies, and to my despair, that is something you have to do as an X-ray tech. I got into my clinical about halfway through my first semester, but I did not feel like I had learned enough to be taking actual X-rays for an actual hospital. I knew I didn’t want to do this for the rest of my life, but I didn’t want to drop out and waste my money so I finished the semester and did my final X-rays. I knew I had to find something else. 

There was a good point of 2018 where I got into a big depressive rut because I didn’t know what to do with my life. I was living at home and working at a fast-food restaurant. I was everything I never wanted to be. That’s when it struck me. I loved reading and writing and everything about it, but being an author was out of the question. I also knew I had a bunch of teachers in high school that made learning a lot harder and I always told myself, “If I was a teacher, things would be so much different.”

So I decided to become an English teacher. I worried at first that it was another thing I panicked and chose but as my second year comes to a close, I feel confident in what I chose. As much as I wish I would have figured it out in the first place, it makes me feel good that I know this is what I want to do because I sacrificed so much more money and time. I didn’t just choose the easy way.

Brooke is an English education major at IUP and plans to graduate in spring 2022. Alongside Her Campus, she has also performed with the IUP Dance Theater and is part of the Kappa Delta Pi honors society and the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE).