This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

It’s the night before a big project or essay is due, and you are staring at your screen blankly. You have had all semester to start, yet you waited until the last minute, pushing it off more and more.

Procrastination. We are all guilty of it. Yet, if we have the time to complete it ahead of time, why do we wait until the last minute and put what feels like endless stress on ourselves?

Apparently, there is a science behind procrastination. And better yet, it is possible to overcome it.

According to the Association for Psychological Science, procrastination is not new to our generation with the rise of social media. In fact, it seems that procrastination has been around since as early as 800 BC! 

Unfortunately, procrastination is pretty harmful to us. It is a result of poor self-regulation, control, and time management. The argument to “just do it” isn’t helpful, either. Psychologists believe that procrastination is the absence of progress in which we create a self-defeating habit.

Procrastination can also look like shuffling our to-do lists so that we are still doing something of value, but not prioritizing what needs to get done. While we may argue that “at least it still gets done,” procrastination remains a result of poor self control.

If you feel like I’m calling you out, don’t worry. I’m calling myself out too. According to UPMC, there are several types of procrastination. This includes “thrill seekers,” who enjoy the rush of meeting a deadline at the last minute, “avoiders” who put off work to prolong judgment or failure, and “indecisive” procrastinators who don’t do work to avoid being sub-par. Whichever you are, it is possible to avoid this last minute stress we put on ourselves.

UPMC claims that the most effective method to overcome procrastination is utilizing preventative measures, such as scheduling and chipping away at work instead of attempting to create something perfect in a single attempt. Instead of thinking about free time later, strive to accomplish a goal in advance to spend free time polishing the work.

While it is certainly easier said than done, it is attainable to complete tasks in a timely manner. Remind yourself that you have control over your own life and watch all that you will do!

Tatiana Cleffi is a writer for the Her Campus chapter at Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP,) who enjoys writing about her personal experiences, particularly in regards to her Latin culture. She is a senior nursing student who is eager to graduate in December 2023. Tatiana is passionate about bridging the language gap in the healthcare setting. She studied medical Spanish abroad to become better equipped to provide nursing care to a diverse range of patients. In her free time, Tatiana enjoys visiting her husband in Costa Rica, going to the beach, singing on the worship team at her church, and eating pumpkin pie.