This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

If you’re a commuter, you know the vibes of “carrying your life in your backpack.” As a commuter, I know exactly how you feel because I also carry my entire life in my backpack when I come to campus. Between classes and being involved on campus, I can be on campus for long periods of time so here are some things I carry with me to make my life easier!

Electronics

• Laptop
  • Chargers- phone and laptop in case I ever run out of battery.
  • Airpods-For all my music and podcast needs while walking on campus.
  • My Kindle- Just in case I ever get a spare moment to read a book. 

Food & drink

• Emotional support water bottle- Can’t go wrong with staying hydrated! I carry my water bottle everywhere and it makes my life so much easier!
  • My favorite snacks! I like to carry protein bars, fruit snacks, and Cheez-Itz! It’s really convenient to carry around a quick snack that I can have at any point in my day!

must haves for class

• Notebooks- I prefer to handwrite my notes! It is really the one way that helps me learn!
  • Pens/pencils- How else am I supposed to write notes?
  • Planner- My planner is my best friend when it comes to staying organized and on top of my assignments.

Miscellaneous

You never know what kind of day you might have, so here are some things that I like to keep on hand in case I need it!

• Wallet
  • Keys
  • Hairbrush
  • Lotion
  • Ibuprofen
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Perfume
  • Tide Stick
Michaela is a writer on the Her Campus team at IUP and is also on the social media team creating posts on the Instagram. At IUP, Michaela is majoring in Nursing, with the goal of becoming a travel nurse after she graduates. She is a sophomore and is expected to graduate in 2026. She is also a member of Theta Phi Alpha, a social sorority at IUP. In her free time, Michaela enjoys reading, crocheting, and spending time outdoors. She also enjoys going to the gym and walking her dog. She loves to listen to rock and pop punk music and enjoys attending concerts.