This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

When my mom said we were getting a Maine Coon kitten I was so excited. All I knew about the breed was that they get huge and fluffy. Well, that’s true so far. My cat Koby is almost a year old now and he weighs the same amount as my Shih tzu, 12 pounds.  He loves to play and chase toys around the house. He even knows how to play fetch. He has an abundance of toys, and he likes them but his favorite thing to play with are hair ties. He brings them to me when I’m sleeping because he wants to play. His parents are from the Ukraine and weigh twenty and twenty-five pounds, his dad being the largest. We are hoping that he reaches the same weight. At this rate he is going steady towards that. With his large size already, the vet believes that he will weigh around twenty pounds and this will be a healthy weight for his size and stature.

Maine Coon cats are very nosy and curious. They like to follow you wherever you go.  They are very gentle in nature, but they like to rough house and play at times. They are very affectionate and like to cuddle. This breed likes to be pet and scratched. They also like their alone time. They sleep a lot and don’t like to be woken up.

The care for these cats is just like any other breed but there are a few more steps that need to be taken. Maine Coons, their fur grows to be very long and can become knotted or matted very easily. So, brushing needs to be a very frequent task. This is because Maine Coons have a thick double coat of fur. This breed is also bigger than a normal cat. These cats can be anywhere between 15 and 25 pounds, and it is considered normal and healthy.

If you are considering getting a cat and have the room and time to care for a Maine Coon. I recommend getting one. They are a big ball of energy, and you never know what they are going to get into. Koby has fit perfectly into our family from the start, maybe yours can too!

Heather is Disability Services Major with a minor in Educational Psychology. Some of her favorite things to do are spending time with her pets back at home and shopping with her friends. In the future she hopes to be teaching a middle school special education classroom.