This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Becoming zero waste is a form of becoming environmentally friendly. I would like to go completely zero waste or at least almost zero waste, but becoming zero waste is something that takes a while to do so in my opinion. Location is for sure one of the reasons why going zero waste is a struggle. Although Indiana does have a sustainability shop, it doesn’t have everything. But the shop does have things like laundry detergent, dish soap, and other cleaning utensils that are better for the environment. I will add the shop’s Instagram below and then I will add a list of the ways that I have become zero waste.

• Dryer Balls
    • Help fight wrinkles and separates clothes in the dryer
    • Reduces the waste of dryer sheets
  • Reusable Ziplock Bags
    • I bought a 16 pack of rubber bags off of amazon and I use them constantly. They are so useful and I don’t feel guilty about throwing away Ziplock bags
    • Of course they reduce single use plastic waste
  • Bar Dish Soap
    • This one I’m currently working on because I need to use up my old soap.
    • I get a bar of soap from a sustainable shop and then I use a bamboo brush and tray
  • Reusable Rags
    • I’m going to use microfiber rags and a eco friendly cleaner to do everyday cleaning
    • This will help reduce the paper towel waste
  • Reusable Bags for Groceries / Mesh Bags for Produce
    • Whenever I go grocery shopping I never use plastic bags. I but reusable bags from Martin’s, because they are the perfect size, and I use them everywhere. I like to also use mesh bags for produce to cut back on those little green plastic bags as well
    • This of course helps reduce the waste of single use plastic
Brittney is a Disability Service Major with a minor in Business Management. Some of Brittney's favorite things to do is read books, listen to Doja Cat and shop till she drops. She loves her cat more than anything and she hopes to one day own her own business and live on the beach!!!