Career

Top 5 Tips for Setting Goals and Getting Organized

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Tip #1: Start small! The important thing about setting goals is to start small. Setting small goals helps you to reach the overall goal you are trying to achieve. A ton of small goals are better than setting one big goal, in order to not overwhelm yourself. 

Tip #2: Limit distractions. I know it can be hard to do this, because I always check my social media and/or my phone every five minutes, it can be distracting! Also, I like to listen to music while I do anything, homework, clean, drive, workout, etc. When it comes to doing homework, I listen to classical music to keep my mind focused on what I am doing, as well as putting my phone on do not disturb. 

Tip #3: Use a planner and/or calander. If you have a busy schedule, like I do, then it can be stressful to keep track of it all. Personally, I use a planner to keep track of my assignments, and a calander to keep track of meetings, my work schedule, and my personal life, 10/10 recommend! 

Tip #4: Make a to-do list! I know I have a ton of assignments due throughout the week, and work on top of it. I make a to-do list almost every day, and get so many assignments done a day. Each time I complete, I cross it off of my list.  

Tip #5: Focus on yourself. Setting goals and achieving them, gives you the chance to accomplish what YOU want for yourself, and not worrying about what everyone else thinks. You do you girlfriend, and focus on the main event, you! 

Emily Beyer is a writer at the Her Campus Chapter at IUP. Beyond Her Campus, Emily works at a local elementary schools after school program and oversees a group of K-2 graders. She has been to many professional development conferences to further her studies in education. Emily is a senior at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania majoring in Early Childhood & Special Education. In her free time, Emily loves to write, shop, watch Grey's Anatomy, and listen to podcasts. Also, she enjoys going to the gym and working out as a distraction from her studies.