Style > Beauty

Top 5 Things to Include in Self-Care Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Sometimes we all get a little stressed in our day-to-day lives. However, sometimes it is nice just to sit back, relax, and enjoy a day or night to yourself. Here is a list of five activities that can help you make your self-care day or night special!

• Do a facemask

Doing a facemask helps you relax and take the pressure off of a long day you may have had. It helps hydrate your skin, as well as getting rid of all of the bacteria that may be in it. They only take 10-15 minutes at most!

• Make your favorite snack, or hot cup of tea

Laying in bed and making yourself your favorite snack also is a great way to unwind. Also, warming up a hot cup of tea or coffee can help you destress yourself and help you to relax after a long day. 

• Watch a movie or television show

After making your favorite snack and/or making a cup of coffee or tea, kick back and watch an old TV show you used to watch, or even a movie!

• Write in a Journal

Writing one’s feelings down in a journal, or even just writing down their thoughts can be very relaxing and helps a person clear their mind of all of the negative things going on in their life. In addition to writing in a journal, maybe try writing down five things you are grateful for each day in that journal, to also clear all of the negative things in your life. 

• Unplug

Turning off your phone to get a break from the digital world is good every once in a while. It helps a person to connect with what is actually going on around them and take a break from social media. Social media can really make an impact on how a person’s day may go. That’s why turning off your phone, or just silencing it for a while can be a good way to unwind.

Emily Beyer is a writer at the Her Campus Chapter at IUP. Beyond Her Campus, Emily works at a local elementary schools after school program and oversees a group of K-2 graders. She has been to many professional development conferences to further her studies in education. Emily is a senior at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania majoring in Early Childhood & Special Education. In her free time, Emily loves to write, shop, watch Grey's Anatomy, and listen to podcasts. Also, she enjoys going to the gym and working out as a distraction from her studies.