This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past ten years or so, you’ve probably heard of Animal Crossing, Nintendo’s whimsical hit franchise. In the digital world of Animal Crossing, the player inhabits a village with various anthropomorphic animals. From fishing, designing clothing and furniture, digging up fossils, even forming friendships with your neighbors, the possibilities are endless!

The latest installment in the series, New Horizons, was released on March 20. In New Horizons, the player moves to a deserted island after purchasing a vacation package from Tom Nook, a tanuki businessman and one of the most infamous and recognizable characters in the Animal Crossing world. 

Upon arriving on the island, the player will have the chance to settle down, meet a few of the island’s other inhabitants and even name their new home. As the game progresses, the player will have to use materials found on the island such as wood, iron, and clay to craft tools and other items to navigate their new world. The player can even build their very own dream home (although they have to pay off a hefty loan to Tom Nook before they can get started.)

Unlike the previous games, New Horizons features far more customization and freedom. Players can move houses, buildings, and even terraform their island. Most notably, the game allows the player to customize the appearance of their character much more than previous editions, offering a variety of skin tones and hair color options from the very beginning. 

Perhaps what is most charming about Animal Crossing is the sense of “realness”. 

One of the most iconic characteristics of the franchise is the passage of time: the sun rises and sets and seasons change, just like they do in the real world.

It is incredibly immersive. 

If you’ve never played Animal Crossing before and you’re wondering what it’s like, New Horizons would be a great place to start. Just don’t forget to pay back Tom Nook.

Michaela Shaw was the vice president and senior editor of the Her Campus chapter at Indiana University of Pennsylvania from 2020-2022. During her time as an undergraduate student, Michaela was also a member of Active Minds, Alpha Kappa Delta, the National Society for Leadership and Success, Sociology Club, and Psi Chi. She also volunteered with Hopeful Hearts, a grief support group for children and families. After completing an internship at Allegheny County Children, Youth and Families, she graduated in August with a dual baccalaureate in Psychology and Sociology and a minor in Child and Adult Advocacy Studies. She likes video games, reading, rainy days, vinyl records, Thai food, and spending time with her cat, Ron.