Tips to Help Your Post Grad Job Search

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Here we are again! We have finally reached the midpoint of the semester. It’s just about April, even if the weather doesn’t’t want to show it, and IUP seniors are preparing to begin a new chapter in their lives; the workforce. While some of us will be continuing our education by attending graduate school this fall, many of us will be trying to land those dream careers we’ve been spending these past four years preparing for. With the life an IUP alumna quickly approaching for the Class of 2013, HC IUP has comprised a list of tips to help with the search for a job. 

Tip #1: Revamp Your Documents
Be sure to fully update your resume and/or curriculum vitae. It is 100% guaranteed that you will need at least one of these documents for all jobs you apply to from here on out. Once you have redone your materials, have them looked over and edited by a professor or one of the helpful workers in the career center on campus. Your resume is how you market yourself before the interview; so why not make sure you’re sending out the best possible first impression? 

Tip #2: Take Your Time
Just as you took your time to decide which university you would attend for your undergraduate studies, your job selection takes just as much focus. Searching for a place of employment after graduation is a huge step in your life; treat it as such. Take the time to gather all of your documents and think about what it is you want to do. Make lists of the places you plan to apply and/or have already applied to. Also, be sure to try to do all applications in a quiet, private area like the local library. Limit yourself to minimal distractions. 

Tip #3: Reach Out
As a senior, you have gained at least four years of networking experience. You probably don’t even realize how many people you have met, not just as far as your peers, but alumni and professors as well. Speaking to professors about future endeavors can actually be a huge help when it comes to your job search. Often times, they can help direct you to a place to look into or if you are lucky, they even directly help by giving you a recommendation. Reaching out to alumni is also helpful in your job search as they were once in the very same position you are in. IUP has thousands of alumni located all over the globe, so what could it hurt to try to reach out to a few for advice. You never know where building relationships with different people. Never forget the old saying, “it’s not what you know, it’s who you know.” 

Tip #4: Be Fearless!
Okay, okay! We know our fourth and final tip may sound a little cliché, but you get the point. Having confidence in yourself is one of the most important pieces of this puzzle. As mentioned in tip #2, it is so important to market yourself. Being shy and reserved is NOT going to get the job done. You need to step outside of your comfort zone. The days of living in your shell are over. Apply for that job that seems like a long shot, too. You never know who will be looking or what they will be looking for. 

Hopefully, taking the time to read over these pieces of advice will help you to focus on what you need to do in your post graduate job search. Her Campus IUP wishes you all the best of luck. Congratulations Class of 2013, you’re almost there! 

Images:
Hailing from the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection, Junene is a current student at Indiana University of PA majoring in Journalism. She has three minors consisting of Communications Media, English: Film Studies track, and Religious Studies.She is the founding President/Editor in Chief of IUP's branch of Hercampus.com, and is the Founder/President of the IUP women's organization That's What She Said. She is also a current member of SPJ, ( Society of Professional Journalists) PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America), CSCR (Committee for the Study of Culture and Religion) and Vice President of the Religious Studies Club at IUP. She is the sole undergradate member of IUPs' Library Outreach and Marketing Committee and is a member of the Student Advisory Group. Junene is a first generation college student; her favorite film is The Usual Suspects and her favorite book is And Then There Were None, authored by Agatha Christie.