Three Rules for a Successful Night Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

When you’re in college, the world is your oyster. You have a lot of freedom and it’s a great time to have fun as well as learn valuable life skills. Of course, part of college life is parties. While it definitely isn’t anything like the movies make it seem, it can be intimidating. Luckily, we have some tips that will help you navigate this particular social scene.

1. Don’t be afraid to say no.

Going to parties isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and that’s okay! You shouldn’t feel pressured to go out and do anything you don’t want to do. You’ll have way more fun participating in things you actually want to do.

During major weekends like homecoming and IUPatty’s, the CAs have a lot of programs you can attend or, if you want to get off campus, get a group of your friends together and do something you all enjoy. Go bowling or take a little road trip somewhere to get away from the craziness.

2. Know your limits.

If you decide to go out, know your limits. Know what you’re willing to do and not do and, should you choose to drink, be mindful of your alcohol consumption. There’s no shame in calling it quits early, but there’s definitely some shame in getting really drunk and puking at your buddy’s party.

3. Be safe.

Avoid any situations that could potentially get you in trouble. Respect the laws and respect the town/campus. You live here and you have to deal with the consequences of your actions.

Keep tabs on your drinks and know how much alcohol is in it.

Don’t go anywhere you aren’t familiar with or where you don’t feel comfortable. Be vigilant of the people you’re around. Of course, be a Good Samaritan and look out for your friends as well. The buddy system is always a great plan.

The most important things to consider are your safety and comfort. Know that you have the control to decide what you do. Make good decisions that you’ll feel good about down the road. College is a great time to experience life, but you also have a future to keep in mind. Don’t let your academics suffer in your pursuit of a good time. We hope these tips help you out! Have fun and stay young, collegiettes!

Hey, lovelies! My name is Alyssa and I'm an English major at IUP's Cook Honors College! My interests include reading, writing (duh!), art of all kinds, and music. If it's your style, feel free to follow me on Instagram and/or Twitter! @at_the_h3lm