jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Thoughts to Myself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

When you have a lot going on in your life, or your own thoughts are stressing you out; there is no better thing than journaling. We all have friends we can call and talk to for hours about everything that we are dealing with, but to be honest, 99% of the time nobody feels like hearing the 100 problems somebody else has going on in their life. Everybody has their own problems to deal with. Therefore, instead of venting to other people (and having to worry about them telling your business to others) get yourself a journal; it will give you the opportunity to be with your innermost thoughts. Journaling should not feel forced, but more so therapeutic, natural, and easy.

(Photo by Ilya Ilyukhin on Unsplash)

Another benefit of writing in a journal for me is that it all flows out much better, compared to if I was sharing my thoughts with another person. At times, I will write things down that I was not even aware that I truly felt. Becoming more aware, connected, and accepting of your emotions creates growth. Overall, your stress level can decrease and your happiness will increase just from writing down your feelings. If you need help getting started, or even being consistent, start yourself out with a goal. Start with something realistic, such as 5-10 minutes every night. (Hey, it only takes 21 days to make something a habit).

A few more tips that I have are: do not focus on grammar, choose different topics to touch on every day if you are feeling stuck, and lastly keep your journal private. When I say topics, I am referring to the different important things occurring in your life. For example, one week focus on writing specifically about your future and your dreams, the next week can be about your relationships; family, friends, significant others, and so on. Most importantly, I mainly keep my journal private. In the beginning of me writing, I would write all of my thoughts down, and then throw the piece of paper in the trash. I feel that another individual knowing 100% of what is going on in my head or having access to all of my feelings, is a privilege.

I now consider my journal to be more of a “prayer journal” now. Which consists of me talking to God, and sharing my thoughts with him. When I am seeking answers, there is nobody else better to vent to than Him. I was able to comfortably share some of my journal pages with other individuals who were interested in getting closer to God, through writing. You never know who you may inspire by beginning your journaling challenge. Good luck!

(Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash)

Graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a B.S in Child Development and Family Relations in May 2018. I have a passion for working with the youth, making a difference in the community, and having a positive impact on individual's lives. "A good woman, trying to be a better woman, while inspiring and helping the next woman."