Wellness > Mental Health

Things That Have Been Keeping Me Sane During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Our lives went from 0-100 real quick, so it’s been quite a rough transition. Major scene changes, seeing more family over friends, or maybe not seeing anyone at all. And I don’t know about you, but I’m kind of over the whole quarantine thing, even though we don’t know how long we’re going to be in it. So here are a few things that I’ve been doing to help keep me sane, and maybe they’ll help inspire ideas in you too.

Reading

I mentioned this in my article last week, but this was the first thing I was excited to have more time to do. There are so many books that I want to read and so many unread that are on my bookshelf. Tackling those feels great and it gives me a chance to live in a different world where social distancing doesn’t exist.

Coloring

Over winter break, my mom and I were at Target and I found this amazing Jason Momoa coloring book. No joke. You get to color domestic images of him mowing the lawn, handing you a bouquet of roses, and playing with a dog. There are also some adventurous ones of him cutting down wood, rock climbing, and fighting an alligator. I’ve started a page or two and it’s been a great time.

(Pssssst… you can find a lot of the pages for free if you Google “Jason Momoa coloring book” but I didn’t tell you that.)

Drawing

I’m…okay at drawing. I can copy things pretty well if they’re geometric, but I’m horrible at drawing people. I’ve wanted to get better so the best way to do that is practice what you’re bad at and draw often. I found this cool drawing generator from @auditydraws on TikTok so if you’re looking for something random like “Obama twerking,” you’ll get that here.

(There’s also an app you can dowload that does the same thing and it’s called WannaDraw)

Watercoloring

I love physically making art and I’ve found that watercolor seems to be my favorite type of medium so I’ve been doing a little bit of that. I painted a cute little comic of an inside joke for one of my friends as well as create a card for my other friend’s birthday. Also, there are classes on Skillshare that I’ve been watching to improve my knowledge and skills.

Crocheting

Hear me out, if you can make a loop, you can crochet. My grandmother crochets and I’ve always been fascinated by it. Also, her hands are starting to bother her so she can’t do it as much anymore and she’s always made things for my family, so I thought it would be nice to make things for her. Plus, you can make a lot of cool things like little figures, dishclothes, blankets, and even clothes. 

I’m a very creative person and I love making things so art has really been helping to keep me afloat right now. I know everyone who reads this might not feel like they can do these things, but that’s the beauty of creation. Whatever you make will be better than anything you didn’t make. So I hope you can draw some inspiration or found something new to do during this crazy time. Stay happy and healthy!

Gabrielle Bonnar is a current undergrad student at IUP who enjoys writing for HerCampus. She enjoys writing articles as a way to express her opinions and experiences throughout her life. Also, this acts as an outlet for her to write about new interests and ideas that she might not be able to express as well through her other artistic mediums. Being a member of Her Campus has strenghtened her abilities as a writer and she is excited to see where this portfolio of pieces takes her in the future. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter at @typical_guby.