This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

All of my life I have never really liked cats, only because they creeped me out, but now I couldn’t imagine a life without one. Let me tell you about my roommate’s cat. First off, he is named Frost, and he is an emotional support animal (ESA). Frost is white, with blue eyes, and is the cutest thing you’ve ever seen. Being an ESA means that he can sense that you are feeling sad or lonely, oh, and he is deaf! The way an ESA can make you feel better by just being there is so powerful, they can sense bad vibes. Even though he is deaf, he still brings so much joy into our apartment, even though he is crazy at times. 

I know whenever I feel sad, he is always right by my side either while I am sleeping, doing homework, or just chilling watching TV. Even though he knocks over our stuff at three o’clock in the morning most nights, we still love him to death. Every time one of us has a bad day, either in class, stress, or work-related, we come home and he is sitting on the cat perch, or on one of our beds waiting for at least one of us to come home. I have never been more attached to an animal, except for my dog at home. Frost comforts me, and my roommate’s just by being here. I never thought I would say this, but I could not imagine my life without Frost in it every step of the way.  

Emily Beyer is a writer at the Her Campus Chapter at IUP. Beyond Her Campus, Emily works at a local elementary schools after school program and oversees a group of K-2 graders. She has been to many professional development conferences to further her studies in education. Emily is a senior at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania majoring in Early Childhood & Special Education. In her free time, Emily loves to write, shop, watch Grey's Anatomy, and listen to podcasts. Also, she enjoys going to the gym and working out as a distraction from her studies.