This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

I love children- that is why I chose my major to be early childhood and special education. This year, I have had the great opportunity to get some field experience by being enrolled in my pre-student teaching class this semester. Hands-on experience is great for this major because it gets one involved in the career field. The school I get to go to once a week is in Johnstown, PA, called Morrell, a grade school for grades Pre-k through 4th grade. I got placed in a preschool classroom, and I was thrilled. I was so excited! I painted my nails, pampered myself the night before, and got a balanced night’s sleep. I had to be there about 9:20 a.m., so I got up around 7:30 because it is a forty-minute drive there and back to campus. I got up, made my bed, straightened my hair, did my makeup, put on a cute outfit, made myself an excellent iced coffee and I was on my way.  

I was extremely nervous because I get bad anxiety when it comes to meeting new people, going to new places, and just everything about a social situation. However, I was on time, I was organized and had all my materials ready to go. Dressing professionally helped me gain some confidence in myself and slightly reduced my anxiety. Finally, I got there and signed in at the front office. I was brought to the cafeteria where I was introduced to my teacher that I was assigned to work with, and she was super nice. She introduced me to some of the kids in her class, as well as her teacher assistants. They ate breakfast, and then we went up to the classroom where I got to participate in lessons, dances, play, and songs with them. It was a thrilling experience to work with kids hands on in an actual classroom for the first time. The smiles, the laughs, the giggles, I love it all- it brings me great joy in my life. As I left, I gave all of the students’ high-fives and hugs, and it gave me this great feeling that I am meant to be a teacher. “Goodbye Ms. Emily,” is what they were saying as I was walking out about to leave.  

Emily Beyer is a writer at the Her Campus Chapter at IUP. Beyond Her Campus, Emily works at a local elementary schools after school program and oversees a group of K-2 graders. She has been to many professional development conferences to further her studies in education. Emily is a senior at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania majoring in Early Childhood & Special Education. In her free time, Emily loves to write, shop, watch Grey's Anatomy, and listen to podcasts. Also, she enjoys going to the gym and working out as a distraction from her studies.