etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Struggles of an IUP Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

As an IUP student, there are some struggles that we can all relate to. Here are 15 of our most common issues: 

The Wifi

The Wifi is nonexistent at times and really is a pain in the butt.  You’re in the middle of writing a paper and BOOM the wifi disconnects…so annoying.  And IUP wifi and Snapchat really have some hatred towards each other because I swear that is the only app that never works.

Keith Hall Construction

Trying to maneuver around this construction is so annoying.  To get to the Hub from Wallwork you legit have to go 10 minutes out of your way.  Oh yeah and let’s not forget that when it’s windy you’re bound to go blind every time you walk past.

Folgers Making you Sick

Folgers is the only dining hall currently on campus and sometimes is your only option.  No one can say that Folgers hasn’t made them sick at least once.

Mailbox Issues

Why are the mailboxes so hard to open?!  Turn left 3 times then make sure you hold in while you go to the right once like uhm what!  Never have I once opened my mailbox by myself. Honestly don’t even remember the last time I checked my mail.

The Walk from Pratt Hall to Zink

This is just an asthma attack waiting to happen. When you have 15 minutes to get from one side of the campus to the other, it seems impossible.  Better put on your running shoes and hope you don’t pass out! Prepare to be winded. 

The Thin Dorm Walls

Hearing your neighbors every move is kind of weird.  You can hear the person next to you talk about their epic fail of a day and all you want to do is knock to tell them it’ll be okay.  Or even better, you’re lying in your bed and all of a sudden you hear a big bang from your ceiling and all you think is that Harambe is going to fall from the sky!

People on Bicycles

Some could ask why this is listed as a struggle, but when you’re casually walking and a biker comes up from behind, you’ll understand.

The Beak

To be honest, I absolutely love receiving the Beak because it’s the only Good Morning message I’ll ever receive. However, these daily messages can easily clog up your inbox. 

Parking

There’s all of these parking lots but who can actually park in them? No one.  You park in a lot from 3am-5am you better watch out because a tow truck is coming for you.

So Many Hills and Steps

Attending IUP has really shown how out of shape I am!  Walking up to the fourth floor of Eberly and it sounds like I just ran a mile.  And you can’t forget about the Foster Hill…halfway up and I’m gasping for air.

Meal Swipes

The amount of food that you can get with one meal swipe is really the struggle.  Your options are either the Pod or Folgers.  Anything else and you better be willing to pay that extra swipe and flex.

Being Broke

There are so many food places in Indiana that food is starting to take over your bank account. But you just can’t go wrong with Romeos, Insomnia Cookies, Jimmy Johns, and Sheetz. 

Being Bored

Of course there are tons of fun things to do on campus, but if you venture off to the “town,” you’re out of luck. Your options consist of the mall that has like no stores or going to Walmart. Woo hoo. 

Indiana Weather

This is probably one of the biggest struggles of being an IUP student.  You never know what you are going to walk into.  It could be really sunny and hot and then the minute after it is down pouring. Like how am I supposed to decide what to wear? When winter arrives, you better get your snow boots and layer up on about 3 coats because it’s basically a blizzard out here. 

Although being an IUP student does have some struggles, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Anyways, these really are just #FirstWorldProblems. 

Hellooo! I am your average teenage girl besides all of the quirkiness and energy I carry along with me :) I am a freshman at IUP and is looking to change my major to business management and exercise science!