Spring Is the Literal Worst

Okay, hear me out. 

Most universities start their spring semester in January when it’s still a wintery hellscape outside. The weather usually warms up mid-March, when most universities have their spring break. 

I have the pleasure of being born and raised in Western Pennsylvania where instead of the four-season standard, we’ve got five: winter, the two weeks in February that Punxsutawney Phil predicted to be spring, second winter, ACTUAL SPRING, summer, and fall.

Do you see where I’m going with this? 

So when I hear the word “spring”, I think of things like sunshine and flowers, not gritting my teeth as I walk across a frozen tundra to get to class. Not to mention how much harder it makes it to drag myself out of my warm bed and into the cold in the first place. 

Not to sound like a pessimist, but it goes without saying that spring kind of sucks if you live in one of the Northeastern states.

Sorry, not sorry.

Michaela Shaw is a psychology and sociology double major with a minor in child and adult advocacy studies. Currently, she is the vice president and senior editor of the Her Campus chapter at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Michaela is also a member of Active Minds and Psi Chi International Honor Society. A strong advocate for mental health, she intends on pursuing a master's degree in clinical mental health counseling. She likes video games, reading, rainy days, vinyl records, sushi and spending time with her cat, Ron.