Girl On Bench With Backpack
Girl On Bench With Backpack
Her Campus Media

Spring Is the Literal Worst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Okay, hear me out. 

Most universities start their spring semester in January when it’s still a wintery hellscape outside. The weather usually warms up mid-March, when most universities have their spring break. 

I have the pleasure of being born and raised in Western Pennsylvania where instead of the four-season standard, we’ve got five: winter, the two weeks in February that Punxsutawney Phil predicted to be spring, second winter, ACTUAL SPRING, summer, and fall.

Do you see where I’m going with this? 

So when I hear the word “spring”, I think of things like sunshine and flowers, not gritting my teeth as I walk across a frozen tundra to get to class. Not to mention how much harder it makes it to drag myself out of my warm bed and into the cold in the first place. 

Not to sound like a pessimist, but it goes without saying that spring kind of sucks if you live in one of the Northeastern states.

Sorry, not sorry.

Michaela Shaw was the vice president and senior editor of the Her Campus chapter at Indiana University of Pennsylvania from 2020-2022. During her time as an undergraduate student, Michaela was also a member of Active Minds, Alpha Kappa Delta, the National Society for Leadership and Success, Sociology Club, and Psi Chi. She also volunteered with Hopeful Hearts, a grief support group for children and families. After completing an internship at Allegheny County Children, Youth and Families, she graduated in August with a dual baccalaureate in Psychology and Sociology and a minor in Child and Adult Advocacy Studies. She likes video games, reading, rainy days, vinyl records, Thai food, and spending time with her cat, Ron.