Spring Fashion Trends for the Curvy Collegiette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Curvy Collegiettes listen up! I have scoured the net and perused the fashion mags to find my favorite Spring 2013 fashion trends for the full figured fashionista. While there are quite a few bold looks out there worth mentioning for spring (crop tops and Bermuda shorts come to mind), I’ve decided to go with simple and chic offerings that you can pull together quickly for an effortless spring look. Here we go!

All White Everything

Seen at Missoni and Burberry, head to toe white is your best bet if you want to pull off that natural, laid back look this spring. Tip: a little white dress with your favorite colorful accessories can make the look your own. 

Sheer Sophistication

Seen at Donna Karan and Victoria Beckham, sheer overlay is sexy and feminine without being over the top. Tip: a sheer maxi skirt with a slouchy sweater gives you a comfy and chic look. 

Go Global

Seen at Emilio Pucci and Miu Miu, designers have gone international with eastern inspired and tribal prints. Tip: pair a tribal print with denim for an understated international vibe. 

[pagebreak]

Pop of Color

Seen at Fendi and Hermes, bold, in your face color is a spring fashion staple that you simply can’t get wrong. Tip: go all the way this spring and do a suit in a daring color. 

Ready for Ruffles

Seen at Gucci and Balenciaga, ruffles can be feminine or edgy, dressed up or dressed down. This is truly one of the more versatile trends this spring so have fun with it! Tip: show off those legs girl in a tiered ruffle miniskirt instead of wearing the cliché ruffled blouse. 

Spring is for Stripes

Seen at Marc Jacobs and Michael Kors, some curvy girls think they can’t pull off stripes, but if worn right they can look stellar! Tip: avoid the zebra look and go for colored stripes. Also, don’t be afraid to mix prints.

[pagebreak]

In Bloom

Seen at Etro and Kenzo, this spring floral is feminine and sexy. Tip: leave the pastel floral for the Easter Bunny. Bold floral print is what’s hot this spring!    

Tuxedo Trendy

Seen at Christian Dior and Lanvin, this spring a feminine twist on the structured tuxedo is popular. Instead of wearing a cocktail dress to dinner, try a tuxedo inspired look. Tip: Funky hair makes a tuxedo look more youthful and fun.

Leather Luxe

Seen at Derek Lam and Jason Wu, leather in spring (and summer) is more than acceptable as long as you keep it simple. Tip: keep this mantra in mind: Sleeveless leather is great for spring weather! 

Contrast Couture

Seen at Celine and Jil Sander, the tried and true color combination black and white is very popular this spring, and my favorite trend of the season. It is almost impossible to go wrong with this look. Tip: instead of a white top and black bottom, flip it! 

Well from my (dream) closet to yours, there are my favorite trends for the curvy collegiette. Spring 2013 is shaping up to be a very stylish season! 

Images:

stylishcurves.net

curvygirlchic.com

etsy.com

tessmunster.tumblr.com

forever21.com

shapelychicsheri.blogspot.com

Hailing from the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection, Junene is a current student at Indiana University of PA majoring in Journalism. She has three minors consisting of Communications Media, English: Film Studies track, and Religious Studies.She is the founding President/Editor in Chief of IUP's branch of Hercampus.com, and is the Founder/President of the IUP women's organization That's What She Said. She is also a current member of SPJ, ( Society of Professional Journalists) PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America), CSCR (Committee for the Study of Culture and Religion) and Vice President of the Religious Studies Club at IUP. She is the sole undergradate member of IUPs' Library Outreach and Marketing Committee and is a member of the Student Advisory Group. Junene is a first generation college student; her favorite film is The Usual Suspects and her favorite book is And Then There Were None, authored by Agatha Christie.