This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

With October already here, it is easy to get into the spooky mood. This month I’d like to take my articles and make them all Halloween themed. With fall being my favorite season and Halloween being my second favorite holiday, I thought it only made sense to talk about it. This week I want to talk about Halloween candy and treats, and some of my hot takes when it comes to them.

Candy Corn

Candy corn is a staple treat for the spooky season, but it always gets a bad reputation. The world mindlessly hates on it like pineapple on pizza or Nickleback. They say it just tastes like wax. Personally, candy corn is one of my favorite fall candies and it signifies the end of summer for me.

Pumpkin Spice Latte

You know once back to school hits, coffee places all over the world are offering their PSLs. This also sparks the debate between pumpkin spice lovers and apple cider lovers. Which one is better? In my opinion, pumpkin drinks sometimes end up testing a little artificial. Usually, I will head to Starbucks and get the pumpkin frappuccino just because it feels like a rite of passage into fall.

Apple Cider

This is where it’s at. One of my pap’s friends makes homemade apple cider every year. They have a party and everyone helps peel apples and gets to have good food and drinks. I grew up drinking apple cider every year around Halloween and even got to drink it warm a few times. I think that this is one drink that you have to have to make your fall more festive.

Caramel Apples

Caramel apples are good if you make them yourself. Every year I walk past the caramel apples in Walmart and I can’t resist buying one. They have cute orange and black sprinkles and the caramel looks so gooey, but when I eat them I get so disappointed. They just don’t live up to the homemade ones. 

Ginger Snaps

These are another treat that makes me think of home around the spooky season. My mom makes the best pumpkin cream cheese dip and she makes her own gingersnaps to dip into it. They are so soft, and the smell of spices brings fall into the home.

Pumpkin Pie

One of the most iconic fall treats, and it is probably my least favorite on this list. I think the texture of a pumpkin pie is weird and mushy, and the taste is just average. You need 3 pounds of whipped cream to make up for eating the pie. I used to lie to myself and say that I loved pumpkin pie, but every time I eat it, I just get disappointed.

Brooke is an English education major at IUP and plans to graduate in spring 2022. Alongside Her Campus, she has also performed with the IUP Dance Theater and is part of the Kappa Delta Pi honors society and the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE).