Serena Haeuser–Her Campus Co-Campus Correspondent!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Meet Serena Haeuser, a senior Child Development and Family Relations major with a minor in Business Administration! When Serena first applied to IUP she was an Early Childhood Education/Special Education major. She switched majors because she knew she had an interest in working with children but no longer wanted to be a teacher. Serena is also one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at IUP!

IUP was actually Serena’s last choice and she did not think that she was going to end up attending at the time she applied. Her top schools were Florida State University, St. Johns University and University of Pittsburgh. She was accepted into all three, but never had the chance to visit the other schools and her mom was not too fond of St. Johns due to the location. When Serena visited IUP she had that “comfortable” “I can see myself here for 4 years,” type of feeling.

As well as being a CC for Her Campus, Serena is also on the Student Co-Op Board of Directors, the Special Events Chair for IUP Mini-Thon, and is the President of the new, up-and-coming organization called Big Hearts Little Hands! When asked how she felt about her organizations and if she would recommend them to others Serena said, “I enjoy writing which is why I enjoy being a part of Her Campus. It gives me the experience and opportunity to free write and it be published in a nationally recognized magazine. Also, at Her Campus we are able to contribute at what we think we are best at. For example, I have interest in event planning so in addition to me being a CC and writer for Her Campus, I am able to plan events for the team. I have a passion for working with youth, as my major is Child Development and Family Relations. IUP Mini-Thon raises awareness for childhood cancer, so I enjoy being able to be a part of a good cause while also being head chair for Special Events. Which goes back to my interest in event planning.”

Serena’s favorite memories at IUP can all be traced back to her freshman year and feel that throughout her time here she has grown as a person: “Freshman year was a year for fun, there was still some room for mistakes. College has made me even more independent as well as responsible for all of my decisions. My first two years in college I was not involved in any organizations or clubs. I wanted to transfer because I felt that there was not much opportunity here at IUP. It was not until my junior year where I began networking and making opportunities for myself. I am now more involved than ever and taking chances on different experiences that are presented to me through IUP.”

While Serena is looking ahead towards graduation in May, she says that reading, positive books and quotes get her through the tough days.

Serena had some advice for underclassmen “Stay focused and organized. Have fun, but before anything make sure your school work is done and you are not behind. Nobody truly enjoys doing homework or studying for an exam. But I promise you that you will enjoy the excitement on your parent’s face when they receive that dean’s list award. Not only does it make them proud, but it makes you proud of yourself. Nobody said college would be easy. Now that you are there, show people what you are capable of. You are not hurting any of your professor’s feelings if you do not attend class, do homework nor study; you are only hurting yourself. Trust me.”

If you see Serena around campus be sure to say hi and wish her well on all future endevaors!

Danielle Jones is from Jeannette, Pennsylvania--a small town with big pride. As an English, Writing major with a minor is Business Administration she loves words and truly believes in their power. She is currently one of two Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at IUP. In her free time, Danielle enjoys reading, writing, and all things Shonda Rhimes.