This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

One perk of going to Indiana University of Pennsylvania, means that you are close enough to Pittsburgh to go for the day.

Some of my friends and I decided to do something that we all have wanted to do- go to a Renaissance Festival.

We were not disappointed in that decision. There were so many different things to see and do and we had spent the whole day there. We had walked around to look at all of the different vendors that were there and made some questionable buying decisions- from flower crowns, to tiaras, and finger armor. Do we regret it? Not at all, but we’re not going to talk about how much we spent.

Other than that we stopped to watch some of the entertainment they had going on. We had watched “The Washing Well Wenches” and “The Angels: Heroines in Disguise”.

I asked my friend Luke to tell me his favorite part of the festival and he continued talking about the shows and entertainment. He said, “the actors, they were full of energy and committed to their roles and it really immersed me in the atmosphere.” My friend Jamie had also said that she had enjoyed the entertainment, especially “The Angles: Heroines in Disguise,” because it was hilarious and it represented the LGBT community.

Something that was really unique to this festival is that anyone can be whoever they wanted. You would see people walking around dressed as kings, queens, princesses, knights, fairies, furries, literally anything, and no one would judge you. My friend Emmy had said “the environment is special and beautiful because it’s people from all different backgrounds coming together to enjoy a common interest and everyone is accepted”.

The Renaissance Festival is not an every weekend event and it ends in September! If you and your friends are ever thinking about something different to do on the weekend and want to get away for a little, try the Renaissance Festival!

Indiana University of Pennsylvania Journalism/ Public Relations/ Religious Studies Caffeine and music enthusiast ΔΦΕ