absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Remembering The Cathedral of Notre Dame

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Remembering Notre Dame

On April 15, 2019, the Notre Dame caught fire. The fire lasted for hours–slowing destroying a huge piece of French history. The roof collapsed into the cathedral, along with the spire collapsing in. Thankfully, no one was injured. Notre Dame was originally built in the year 1163, making the cathedral 863 years old. In honor of the cathedral of Notre Dame, here are a few things to remember about the astonishing piece of architecture.

1. Notre Dame is located in the heart of Paris, France.

The cathedral is built on the island of Ile de la Cite. The cathedral is properly known as “Our Lady of Paris”.

(Photo by TripSavvy)

2. The Crown of Thorns was kept in the cathedral.

The Crown of Thorns was a dominant, religious artifact. The crown was worn by Jesus when he was crucified.

(Photo by Reuters Blog)

3. The BEAUTIFUL Stained Glass windows.

Stained glass windows were everywhere within the cathedral. They are huge and some of them date back to the 13th century!

(Photo by Enthusical)

4. The Cathedral housed a forest on its rooftop.

The forest was 127 meters by 48 meters. The forest included over 1300 trees, dating back to the 12th century.

(Photo by: en.parisinfo.com)

5.  The Cathedral is visited more than the Eiffel Tower and The Louvre.

The Notre Dame is visited more than the Eiffel Tower. The Notre Dame is free and opens every day of the year for certain hours.

(Photo by en.wikipedia.com)

The people of France are devastated by this tragedy and the entire world mourns with them. We hope that some artifacts can be collected and saved!

"She remembered who she was, then the game changed."