Recipe: The Easiest and Tastiest BBQ Crock Pot Chicken

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

I’ve spent a significant amount of more time in the kitchen ever since moving off campus. Being a full time student, working a part time job, staying involved with my campus activities, and going to the gym on a weekly basis means that I don’t have much spare time to devote to making meals. Meals plans aren’t going to last forever; you’ll soon start to get sick of campus food and may choose to opt out of a meal plan once you move off campus, like I did. I try to limit take-out food as much as possible. The $10+ that I’m spending on one meal could go towards one, two, or possibly even three meals if I had gone grocery shopping.

Crock pot recipes are a blessing, let me tell you. They don’t require an abundance of ingredients, cooking preparation, and most importantly, they don’t take up a lot of time! Pinterest is my go-to when it comes to searching for low maintenance recipes, you can check out my board here if you’re interested. After making this recipe, I knew that I had to share it. It only took four hours to make, the meal prep took less than ten minutes (no lie), and total cost of the meal was approximately $12, give or take a few dollars. Let’s get into it.

What you’ll need:

• 2 lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 1 cup of BBQ sauce
  • ¼ cup of brown sugar
  • ¼ cup of Italian dressing (optional)
  • 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

***Note: I listed the Italian dressing as optional because I forgot to include it last time and I couldn’t even taste a difference. 

Directions:

1. Lightly season chicken breast with salt and place in bottom of crock pot.

2. Combine BBQ sauce, Italian dressing, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce into a bowl and pour over the chicken

1. Cook on high for 3-4 hours
  2. Shred chicken with two forks, and let cook in sauce for an additional 15 minutes to soak up the sauce

That’s it! It really is that simple. I served mine on an onion roll with a bagged of steamed, mixed vegetables. You could also leave the chicken whole and serve with some potatoes and vegetables. Try it for yourself and you’ll see how tasty it really is!

21 years old. Social media manger for HerCampus IUP. Comm media major. Photography, flannels, iced coffee, dogs, feminism, and dairy-free ice cream.