Style > Beauty

Pros and Cons of Having Short Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Pros

1. It doesn’t take as long to style – When I had long hair, it took me about 20 minutes just to blow dry it. After cutting 8 inches off, it only takes me about 5 minutes. You know what that means, more time to sleep in (every college student’s dream)!

2. You can’t tell when it’s greasy : With long hair, I couldn’t go 24 hours without my hair looking like a giant greasy mess. Now, I can skip washing my hair for a day without having to worry.

3. You save money : Hair products aren’t cheap. So when they end up lasting twice as long, that’s a win in my book!

Cons

1. Maintenance : When you have long hair, you can go months without having to get a haircut. With short hair, you’ll have to get it cut about every 6-8 weeks to maintain the length.

2. The awkward phase : If you ever want to grow out your hair, you’ll have to go through the dreaded awkward phase where your hair isn’t short anymore, but it isn’t long either.

3. You can’t just pull it up in a ponytail : Putting my hair in a ponytail used to be so easy. Now, it requires lots of hairspray and bobby pins.

Kate is a senior Communications Media major at Indiana University of Pennsylvania from Bentleyville, Pennsylvania. She enjoys spending time with her family and friends, taking long naps, eating ice cream with lots of sprinkles, photography, musicals, walking her dog, and listening to 60s/70s music.