If you don't already know, September is National Suicide Prevention Month

There are a number of things in September to raise awareness and advocate for suicide prevention, such as Suicide Prevention Week and World Suicide Prevention Day on September 10. 

World Suicide Prevention Day was first organized by the International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) and the World Health Organization (WHO) in 2003. Since then, people around the world have participated globally. 

This year, Suicide Prevention Week is Sunday, September 6 from Saturday, September 12 while Thursday is World Suicide Prevention Day. 

Thousands of people die from suicide every year. In fact, suicide is the tenth leading cause of death in the United States with nearly 130 people dying from suicide per day. Although that may seem overwhelming, there are plenty of things you can do to help. 

For instance, you can help spread information and raise awareness that suicide is preventable. You can educate yourself and others of the social stigma surrounding suicide. You can also familiarize yourself with potential warning signs and risk factors

If you or someone you know is interested in participating, check out the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP), or even on campus at your university. 

Michaela Shaw was the vice president and senior editor of the Her Campus chapter at Indiana University of Pennsylvania from 2020-2022. Michaela is also a member of Active Minds, Alpha Kappa Delta, the National Society for Leadership and Success, Sociology Club, and Psi Chi. She also volunteers with Hopeful Hearts, a grief support group for children and families. After completing an internship in Alleghany County, she will graduate in August with a dual baccalaureate in Psychology and Sociology and a minor in Child and Adult Advocacy Studies. She intends on pursuing a master's degree in Social Work with a concentration on Children, Youth and Families. She likes video games, reading, rainy days, vinyl records, Thai food, and spending time with her cat, Ron.