An Open Letter To My Older Brothers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Hey guys,

I know I never say this enough but thank you for everything you do for me. Thank you for taking care of me when I was younger and still having my back to this day. I know we didn’t always get along, like when we were younger and I always claimed that you were ruining my childhood, but I am so thankful for how close we are today.

Thank you for toughening me up since I was young. I remember you guys would always want to fight and wrestle on the trampoline and it usually ended up with me crying because I either got kicked too hard or ended up with a bloody nose. Thank you for getting into screaming and name calling matches with me. You have called me every name in the book and, at the time it was hurtful, but I know we were just kids being annoying kids. Now, if anyone talks negatively about me, I know that first off, it will not bother me, and second off, you guys will kick their a***s. It sounds dumb, but I know that you guys made me the tough and strong person I am today.

Thank you for teaching me that I should not take crap from anyone. Not only from guys, but even from my friends. Thank you for showing me who someone actually is before I am able to realize it. I know that you guys have always had my best interest in mind when it came to who I hung out with. You guys were always right when it came to boys and I now wish I had listened to every word you’ve ever said to me about them.

Thank you for always pushing me to my limits and showing me new things. From trying to teach me how to backflip on skis, to driving with the roof off your jeep. You guys tested my fears with making me go cliff jumping and rock climbing. You exercised with me and helped me practice sports when I was in high school because I know that a six-foot male will have a killer spike and that helped me get better at volleyball.

You guys showed me how to be confident in everything I do. To be myself in every situation and be loud and proud, but also humble. To always stand up for what I believe in, even though I know for a fact that people will disagree with me.

I also just want to thank you guys for being my automatic best friends. Even though when we were younger we always had our own friends, you guys made it cool to let your little sister hang out with you and your friends.

When I’m not with you guys now, being away at college, I miss you guys so much. We’re all doing our own thing now, with you guys and your full-time jobs and being hours away from me it kind of sucks.

I honestly can’t thank you guys enough for being the most supportive, loving, and caring people I have in my life. I love you guys so much.

Love,

Your Little Sister

Indiana University of Pennsylvania Journalism/ Public Relations/ Religious Studies Caffeine and music enthusiast ΔΦΕ