Girl Holding Her Knees

Online Class Transition and Never-Ending Boredom

As an honor roll student, I can say that this transition we are going through is detrimental to my education. I’ve always had really great grades in school. Even in elementary. However, I’ve also always learned in class and now that I don’t have that option and it's hurting me.

people sitting in chairs in a classroom viewed from behind Sam Balye on Unsplash

Let’s talk about the actual education first. I had one online class this semester, English. English is such an easy class to do online because you just write. I already like writing, as you can tell by the number of articles I have posted. I choose to do easier classes online so I can worry about my harder classes: my major classes. Biology is never an easy class, especially because the exams are intense.

people sitting in chairs and taking notes The Climate Reality Project on Unsplash

Now, not only do I have to worry about transitioning to online which I hate, but I also have to get used to my hard classes online also, which are already challenging, and I have to learn them in a way I hate doing. Photo by Sincerely Media from Unsplash

Not just academics affect me during this time. What breaks my heart was leaving campus. I can barely take leaving in May and I was forced to leave last week. I broke my heart. I love being on campus, around everyone, having others to be there with me. Now I feel isolated and alone.

two different people's arms reach out in front of the St. Louis arch, their pointer finger and middle fingers coming together to make a heart Jennifer Burk | Unsplash

I have nothing to do, nowhere to go, and no one to hang out with because of the isolation we are supposed to be under right now to stop the spread of COVID-19. It is so bad for mental health laying around all day, at home, with no one.

Anna Schultz-Girl Sitting On Bed Facing Wall Anna Schultz / Her Campus

For me, it is very hard leaving my campus. I may be exaggerating but I’m heartbroken right now. I almost feel empty. I had to leave my classes, peers, clubs, and my home away from home. It felt like leaving home all over again but this time I left home to go home. This home doesn’t feel the same as that home if you understand it at all. All I can say is this pandemic is hurting me more than isolation is helping me.

Sweatpants Against A Wall Arianna Tucker / Her Campus