This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Upon watching Meghan Markle’s interview with Oprah, I was undoubtedly shocked like the rest of the world. But it was not so much shock to the racism that exists within the royal family and its system; sadly, that did not come as much of a surprise. Rather, it was a shock to learn about Meghan Markle’s calls for help which were met with no response.

In a time when mental health awareness is finally beginning to spread and become accepted in society- although there is still much work to be done- it is horrifying to know that a member of the royal family was in need of help and was not given any whatsoever. Meghan Markle details the depression and suicidal thoughts she experienced while living in Britain, as well as the fact that she was hardly allowed to leave her home, as the royals must first ask permission from monarchy advisors. Naturally, being trapped in one’s own home is not good for one’s mental health. Thus, Meghan recognized her need for mental health help and requested it from the institution. However, her requests were met with no action or difference whatsoever.

So many of us who suffer from mental illness are scared or hesitant to ask for help. Hearing Meghan’s story is truly disheartening because even when she did ask for help, she received none. However, from her story, we learn that she took matters into her own hands by realizing that she could no longer live how she was living. Thus, she had to remove herself from the situation despite the public backlash she faced because it was best for her mental health and life.

This serves as a reminder that everyone has more going on than appears at the surface. Marrying into the royal family seems like a dream come true, but in reality, one must leave their normal life to conform to the ideals of the institution. This reminds me of the warped sense of a perfect life that social media causes us to inherently believe: one’s life appears absolutely perfect online, but in reality, we have no idea what that person is truly going through or experiencing. 

Not only is this realization a reason to treat everyone with kindness, but also a reason to aid those reaching out for mental health-related help in accessing the resources they need. Let us learn from Meghan Markle’s experience that there is strength in asking for help.

Suicide hotline: 800-273-8255

24-hour crisis line: 1-800-273-8255

Tatiana Cleffi is a writer for the Her Campus chapter at Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP,) who enjoys writing about her personal experiences, particularly in regards to her Latin culture. She is a senior nursing student who is eager to graduate in December 2023. Tatiana is passionate about bridging the language gap in the healthcare setting. She studied medical Spanish abroad to become better equipped to provide nursing care to a diverse range of patients. In her free time, Tatiana enjoys visiting her husband in Costa Rica, going to the beach, singing on the worship team at her church, and eating pumpkin pie.