My Idols-The Three Women I look Up To

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Idol: An idol is someone who is admired and respected very much. It can be an actress, singer, or sports player. Here are the three people that I admire:

1. marilyn monroe

She is an icon of pop culture. There is something about Marilyn that I feel drawn to. People see her as a sex symbol, but she is more than that label. Marilyn is a talented actress, even though she was typecast as the “dumb blonde” and was underpaid. I look up to her because of the positivity and confidence that she gave off to the world.

2. brittney spears

Circus is the first Britney Spears song I’ve listened to. I like her songs, outfits, merch, and choreography. Britney’s discography boosts my energy and makes me feel confident. I admire how strong of a woman she is, her artistic involvement throughout her career, her stage presence, and her funny/sweet personality. I do also feel bad for Britney because of the conservatorship. I felt like something was going on with her, but I didn’t know what it was until now. Jamie (Britney’s father) controlled her and her money for twelve miserable years. At least Britney is free, and distancing herself from her terrible family.

3. olivia rodrigo

Olivia is my favorite current pop artist because her songs are relatable. She is a year older than me, so we both experienced our late teens/young adult era. Olivia describes her musical style as “‘heartache, mental health, and sadness, without being melodramatic, expressing more realistic perspectives than resilient” I also like her style, it is a combination of being trendy and youthful. Olivia is an activist for important subjects such as abortion and voting.

I admire all three of them, but I notice they have something in common with each other. The media has criticized them over small things. I blame it on misogyny because when a male celebrity makes a bad choice, no one bats an eye, but when a female celebrity makes a bad choice, they’re treated very badly. For example, when Britney Spears was going through her meltdown during 2007, everybody was making fun of her. People also made fun of her music and outfits. I notice that some of the people that strongly disliked Britney are supporting her now and I’m not sure if they’re genuine. For Olivia, some people complain that her music is “moody”. In my opinion, I don’t think her songs are moody. Back in the day, men and women were treated differently. The men had more privileges than women. People exploited Marilyn Monroe before and after her death. She was a person, but everybody sees her as a character. I will be a fan of these three women and defend them no matter what conflict.

Sarabeth Smalich is a nineteen-year-old freshmen at the IUP Her Campus. She studies Graphic Design & Illustration at Indiana University of Pennsylvania College of Arts and Humanities. Fun Facts about Sarabeth: Her star sign is Aries. Sarabeth's personal interests are Art, Fashion, True Crime, Asian Culture, Makeup, Music, Film, Social Causes, Travel, and Cooking. Blue is Sarabeth's favorite color. Bio Updated On: 10/17/23