This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

As we go into a new school year, things are a little different. Some students, including myself, do not have the luxury of being in person for classes and are doing things from unideal living situations. This semester I wanted to set some small goals for myself considering how new and stressful things are going to be this year. These are a few of the goals I’d like to start the semester with.

Don’t Isolate Completely 

I know it is going to be difficult to get out and talk to people considering we are in the midst of a pandemic, but isolating myself is going to make this a lot harder than it has to be. I look back to my first year here at IUP, I was a transfer student and I didn’t know too many people on campus, I did almost everything by myself, and my roommate and I never talked at all. Knowing how I felt at that time, I want to try my hardest to avoid it, especially because all classes are done remotely and you don’t get that time before and after class to chat with your friends and peers like you used to.

Stay Active

Since I am staying off-campus this year, I won’t be walking nearly as much as I would when I lived in the dorms. I walked to class, to practices, to eat, almost everywhere I went I had to walk. Now I’m finding that I don’t get up and move as much as I did before. Over quarantine, I had the luxury of access to a home gym and I really made some exciting progress on myself. Now though, I have been a lot lazier than I’d like.

Keeping My Grades Up

Since classes are done remotely now, things run a little differently. I’ve noticed some professors putting assignments up on our site and not telling us there is something due, so I’d like to try and keep up with things. I think falling behind will be easy, and catching up might not be the same.

Brooke is an English education major at IUP and plans to graduate in spring 2022. Alongside Her Campus, she has also performed with the IUP Dance Theater and is part of the Kappa Delta Pi honors society and the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE).